does this go against ebay rules?

Its the overseas shipping, 40 bucks and the reason about handling charge.

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Considering what the item is (size and weight), I can't see how $40 is appropiate - it's classic fee avoidance at its best.

Jimi

Reply to
Jimi

Hub & Diane Plott

I get items shipped almost daily, maybe 50 kits in the past 2 weeks from the US, i have had 3 same size kits come for 26 air, infact 2x 7 kits was only

37 bucks.

Had many items i wanted but would rather go without than give a seller like that my not so hard earned cash

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

They probably use UPS, which cannot deliver to a P.O. Box. I think they also pick up (we don't have UPS in our part of Canada). If a parcel has to go to a P.O. Box, then the sender will have to take it to the Post Office to mail it, hence the charge. I'm not condoning the extra charge, just assuming why it would be charged.

BB in Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Tell you what, Julian. Get it at the minimum bid and ship it to me, whereupon I will use the 'slow boat' regular parcel post rates to ship it to

*you* at no additional charge for my handling. IME (and I *do* have experience), it costs about $9 to send a kit this size anywhere in Europe or the UK. Takes up to 2 months to get there. If the thing is worth ($2.99 + $10.00 + ~$9.00) to you, and you're willing to wait, I think you should have it for that.

-- C.R. Krieger (Looking for a tornado)

Reply to
C.R. Krieger

Reply to
the Legend of LAX

Personally, I think the extra handing chargwe because he has to wait in a line at the post office is kinda chickenshit. However, he has the right to charge a handling fee if he wants to.

If it's stated up front as it seems to be on the auction site, there shouldn't be a problem. If you don't want to pay the quoted postage and handling fee, you have two options; contact him and ask him to reconsider (doubtful considering his tone in the description) or, don't bid on it.

"The world would be a much simpler place if every one could pick and choose their obligations, but we can't and we shouldn't." Major Charles W. Whittlesey

Reply to
Bill Woodier

Here is the USPS site,

Figure about how much it weighs and then plug in the figures, will tell you how much it should be. I always add $ .90 for "Certificate of Mailing" just as an insurance policy for me to show the item was shipped to prevent someone saying it wasn't shipped, sad to have to do that but times have changed, in the US I ship "Priority Mail" with "Delivery Conformation" ($ .45). Some items I ball park the shipping on items and make $ .50 and some times I lose $ .50, I stay pretty close on shipping prices and never had anything $ 40.00 overseas and I just sent a 1/16 Tamiya Ferrari 312T-4 to the UK, shipping "Airmail Letter Post" was $28.90 and I use heavier boxes for overseas shipping. That van model shouldn't go over 2 lbs. Shipping at 2 lbs to the UK "Airmail Letter Post" (4 to 7 days) with Certificate of mailing is only $14.20. Sam

Sam