engine can't pull 2 cars...help

muselart wrote:

Nooo... Atlas is a US firm that makes trackwork etc and gets models made by outside firms.
Rivarossi made models under it's own name in addition to the Atlas name, usually leaders in appearance/detailing but often with suspect mechanisims. Their early N gauge motors (like yours) were absolute cr.p. They bought out the US N gauge models of a firm called Roewa in about 1972 - superb models of a Berkshire 2-8-4 and a Mallet 2-8-8-2(?) They probably modified the mechanisims at some stage to conform ...
Atlas also bought from Roco (Austria) with much better results. I think they bought from Mehano (Yugoslavia) who tried to do as well as Rivarossi but failed. =8^O I think they also bought from Kato (Japan) more recently. Those should be good. I guess they're now buying from Chinese manufacturers. The Chinese can supply whatever quality the importer asks for, so ...
You'd have to ask N gauge fans about present day products as my experience (commercial repairs) ended a decade ago. A problem with N gauge motors is that they have a very small mass to absorb excess heat from short term overloading and therefore burn out very easily. Manufacturers have got better at making robust motors but the problem is always there waiting to bite you.
Greg.P.
In article <00f277f8-08b4-48e6-8e77-0759903ada80

Used to be...good stuff now, at least from the new N and HO stuff I have or have seen at friends homes.
BDK