Fake Hollywood roadnames

What is it with Hollywood and railroad roadnames?
I'm watching "The Fugitive"--again--on TV (Ion), and we're just past the
celebrated train-wreck scene. So why is it that the locos here were decorated with the name of a completely nonexistent road, "Illinois Southwestern"? Were the producers somehow afraid of, what, being sued by a real road if they used their name?
Sheesh. This is as bad as that totally STUPID convention of using "555-xxxx" for telephone #s in movies ...
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:
On Sun, 05 Dec 2010 19:04:07 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Actually, the 555 numbers are genuine, and allocated for filming.

Yup. And you can bet your donkey that they *would* have been sued if they'd used a real name, too!
BTW: That train-wreck scene was filmed with miniatures built (and crashed) just for the occasion by the late Jack Sessums; a neighbor of mine who lived just down the canyon.
~Pete
On 12/5/2010 7:22 PM Twibil spake thus:

I see he's got an IMDB entry: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0785954
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

Huh!
I didn't even know that there *was* any such thing!
~Pete
On 12/5/2010 7:42 PM Twibil spake thus:

Oh, yeah; IMDB is the Google of movie info. Now owned by Yahoo! or some such.
--
How To Access Wikileaks

These sites are still up as of 12/3/10:

Thanx for the info.
Now I can find out who played Robbie The Robot in "Forbidden Planet"!
~Pete

Yes.
On 06/12/2010 03:22, Lobby Dosser wrote:

And you may notice that in older movies the cars are carefully styled to be a generic composite of actual brands. Until the car makers realised that offering real cars was a cheap form of advertising.
Wolf K.

As long as they don't burst into flames and incinerate the occupants, ala Pinto. Or accelerate madly on their own like Toyota.

On 07/12/2010 01:57, Lobby Dosser wrote:

[...]
That's because the on-broad software was written in English and Japanese, so the 'puter developed neuroses....
Wolf K.

The same applies to airlines in movies and tv.If you see a plane with a made up name on it,you know something bad is going to happen to it.
mumbles wrote:

There's one airline you want to stay away from, that's Oceanic Airlines. One of their planes was taken over by islamic terrorists and another crashed on a mysterious island in the South Pacific. I know there was a third incident, but I can't remember the details.
Fred Ellis
--
"Who do you serve.... And who do you trust?"
(To e-mail me, remove the X from my address)