First Decoder Install

Well it is done. My first Decoder install on a "Bachmann Trolley Lighted" Everything worked! :) It was a lot easier then I thought it would be. It took about 20 minutes. Runs great!

One of the things I would do different the next time is to cut my wires a little shorter. I did not want to do this on the first one in case I messed up.

I have also learned a lot about resistors and and choosing the correct decoder.

Now to order more decoders. A lot more engines to do and a few lighted cars.

Thanks to all who helped along the way

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Are you planning on installing decoders in your passenger cars? If so, remember that there are 'function only' decoders for lighting effects that can save you some money over the regular variety.

fl@liner

Reply to
fubar

Yes I am. I started looking tonight on-line. Do you or anyone else have suggestions on type and place to purchase. My local shop has very little to choose from as far as decoders.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

(Primarily n-scale, but sell appropriate decoders) Lots of others out there, but I can vouch for these four.

Mike

Reply to
fubar

Chris wrote in news:0062ca97$0$25999$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

On the first install of a decoder in a locomotive, I'll leave the wires full length and then once I'm sure everything works (AND FITS!!!), I'll trim them to a little longer than necessary.

If I'm hard wiring a decoder, I'll do this every time. I don't mind redoing work, though, to attain perfection.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I have used litchfieldstation. Just the other week for the first time. Bought some LEDs and resistors etc... Very good people to deal with. Quick shipping.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Chris, Train Control Systems [ snipped-for-privacy@tcs.com ] has lighting decoders plus many other decoders have a look at their web sight I thinl you'll like it.

Malcolm New Zealand.

Reply to
Malcolm Donaldson

On 1/19/2009 10:45 PM Malcolm Donaldson spake thus:

Wrong address there. Their website is

so email addresses are going to be [something]@tcsdcc.com.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl