Foreign Rolling Stock

Geezer wrote: [...]

As I understand it, no. RailBox was debvised to eleminaite per diems.

[...]
The shortlines built these cars to make money on the per diems. Worked until the demurrage (per diem) rules were changed. I think the RRs finally figured out that per diems cost more in paper work that one could make on it. After all, if everybody loads outgoing freight on home road cars, and sends empty foreign cars off road, in the long run it all balances out, so there's a net cost in maintaining the per diem system. AFAIK, all cars are are pooled these days, but I'd like to hear from a railroader who knows what's actually going on.
RailBox was a consortioum of railroads that produced a new entity (RailBox) to which all of the railroads put money towards for the cars. As such, the cars would be considered as "home" cars for those roads and thus wouldn't accumulate the per diem charges. This was the first attempt to reduce the charges and it worked well for it's time. The primciple has also caused locos themselves to be more used on foreign roads and we now have the wandering locos as well as wandering cars without the need to get them back to the home roads as fast as was done earlier. One thing that you haven't mentioned is the era that you're running in as this will help determine the number of different things that were happening iwth the railroads of that era.

I think it also obviated the need to route the car back towards it's home road. So, if you had a Lehigh Valley boxcar, you used to have to send it back that way. With a Railbox, you can send the same car westward, to LA.
I think the slogan on the side says Next Load, Any Road....
Kennedy
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
mc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

I have all kinds of foreign roads boxcars on my layout. They are on incoming and outgoing trains.
In real life, the RRs are supposed to reroute those foreign cars back to their home roads. The best way is to send a load out that way. Sometimes, they go empty, but that doesn't make money for anybody.
Since my layout is a slice of 'reality', the cars don't really get involved in such details. I'm just running trains, so it's presumed that a foreign road boxcar is heading back that way with whatever is loaded, or heading to another industry as an Mty to be loaded with stuff going back that way.
Kennedy
Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
On 21 Oct 2005 10:33:12 -0700, mc snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com shared this with the world:

What's your "home road"? Or, if it's fictitious, what part of the world are you setting your railroad in?
And what era are you modelling in?
There is a lot of knowledge here, and the more specific the question, often the better the answer.
As for me, I'm modelling the CNR on a fictional sub-division somewhere on the praries. About 70% of my freight fleet is CNR, 20% "affiliate" cars (lines owned by CN) and 10% other (private owner, and CPR mostly)
Kent
--

Kent Ashton | http://members.shaw.ca/kjashton -personal
snipped-for-privacy@shaw.caNADA