Fosm board

Does anyone in the East Central Florida area know of where I can find the pink or blue sheets of foam board. I can find the white all day long but it seems like most people are useing the other.

Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
bikerb422

"> Does anyone in the East Central Florida area know of where I can find "> the pink or blue sheets of foam board. I can find the white all day "> long but it seems like most people are useing the other.

Usually it is carried by building supply places as 'Foam Insulation Board'. Try Home Depot, Lowes, and the like. Or lumber yards. (Yellow pages / SuperPages.com category: "Construction Materials" / "Building Materials"). One of the problems getting this stuff is it is not common in the 'warmer' parts of the country. I would not think that Florida is so warm year round as to support construction without ANY insulation. The foam is commonly used with poured concrete foundations, since it can be 'stuck' to the concrete and back filled against. It is also used sometimes as a layer between a structural exterior wall and a siding layer. Oh, the only difference between the pink and blue is brand: Owens Corning has an 'exclusive' deal with 'pink' insulation (both foam and fiber glass), since their trademark involves the 'Pink Panther'. The blue foam board is various other brands, commonly Dow. From a model RR point of view the two colors are interchangeable, esp. since it will be painted and/or covered with tracks/roadbed, buildings, and scenery materials.

"> "> Thanks, Bruce "> ">

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com

||FidoNet: 1:321/153
/\

Reply to
Robert Heller

Robert Heller wrote: [...] I would not think

Up here, we use insulation to keep the heat in in winter, and out in summer.

So I am somewhat surprised that in parts of the US where life is all but impossible without air-conditioning, so many houses are not insulated. Electricity real cheap, is it?

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Wolf K:

I think the statement about uninsulated houses was just conjecture, but maybe other types of insulation are more popular down there.

Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
pawlowsk002

I live in the northern part of central Florida. Most houses here are built of concrete block and have little or no insulation in or on these block walls. Insulation is just as important to save on air conditioning cost as for heat but still little insulation is found. The blue and pink foam board is not carried by any of the Lowe's or Home Depot stores down here that I have been in. My own house is brick veneer on a two by six inch frame with six inches of fiberglass insulation in the wall.

Stuart Sabatini Palm Coast, FL

Reply to
Stuart Sabatini

I can get the thinner (1/2") panels here in southeast Georgia, (Brunswick) but not the thicker ones normally used, so I've had to double up.

To our northern neighbors - many older homes in Florida were built when electricity WAS cheap and had little, if any insulation. I imagine some still are built that way, but smarter owners make sure they are insulated. But I'm not sure that foam board is what's commonly used down there, hence its scarcity.

Here in SE Georgia, I do see it piled at construction sites, but I believe it usually is the thinner panels.

Mike Tennent "IronPenguin"

Reply to
Mike Tennent

MT> "bikerb422" wrote: MT> MT> >Does anyone in the East Central Florida area know of where I can find MT> >the pink or blue sheets of foam board. I can find the white all day MT> >long but it seems like most people are useing the other. MT> >

MT> >Thanks, Bruce MT> MT> I can get the thinner (1/2") panels here in southeast Georgia, MT> (Brunswick) but not the thicker ones normally used, so I've had to MT> double up. MT> MT> To our northern neighbors - many older homes in Florida were built MT> when electricity WAS cheap and had little, if any insulation. I MT> imagine some still are built that way, but smarter owners make sure MT> they are insulated. But I'm not sure that foam board is what's MT> commonly used down there, hence its scarcity.

Foam board is commonly used over masonry walls, mostly cellars, since it is weather proof and can be left out in the 'elements'. Since the ground in Florida does not freeze hard, there is little reason to insulate the cellars (and cellars are 'naturally' cool anyway, so are not much of a cooling load in summer). Wood frame houses (2x4 balloon construction, common for housing in most of USA) is commonly insulated with fiberglass (rolls or bats), not foam. I've seen foam board used on *commercial* buildings that are constructed with masonry walls (eg poured concrete or concrete block) and then get some sort of siding layered on top of the foam.

MT> MT> Here in SE Georgia, I do see it piled at construction sites, but I MT> believe it usually is the thinner panels. MT> MT> Mike Tennent MT> "IronPenguin" MT> MT>

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com

||FidoNet: 1:321/153
/\

Reply to
Robert Heller

Robert Heller wrote: [...]

Here in mid-northern Ontario, current method is fiberglass batts inside the 2x6 framed walls _plus_ 2" or more of foam on the exterior _plus_ Tyvek sheet wrap, taped at the seams, to keep the wind out. Then siding or facing brick or stucco. These houses need positive air-exchangers in the winter to bring fresh, clean air in. :-)

Exterior foam retrofit is often covered with a thin layer of cement-stucco here these days.

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir