get behind UP or get a new hobby

I say let the UP misers have their 4%. Like it or not we can choose to buy or not. I'd rather the state reduce the sales tax to only 4%. At 8.125% that's a big chunk of my money. That's after Uncle Sam extorts about a third plus social security that they say is not a tax. Then figure the costs of insurance and more insurance to protect me against those who don't have insurance and even more insurance to protect me against people who have lawyers. Then there are licenses and fees, they even tax my dog and she better have that tag on or she'll get busted. Then there is property tax. Then there's medical expenses that insurance does not cover unless you buy more insurance to cover what your insurance doesn't cover. And then there is all the stuff that gets taxed by the state and feds before you buy it like gas. What are they doing with all this money when they can't fix the pot holes on our street, my kids are in private schools because my tax only pays for public schools with miserable academic records, dangerous environments and in house police stations. I don't know about you guys but I would like to have some models of the big UP steam and if they cost a few dollars more it would not be a big deal if I could just keep more of my money rather than having the local, state and federal government taking so much or legislating it away. Yes the UP fees should upset model railroaders but every one of us should be mad as hell about tax, insurance, medical costs, and the laws that allow people to sue you for just about anything. This effects our Hobby dollars and every thing else we do to a much greater extent than the railroads wanting licensing fees. Taxation with representation......what a crock. Bruce

"PEACHCREEK" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com...

banner....................

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

Is this a model train forum or a political discussion forum? For those model railroaders that do not think all prices are going to keep going up... boy do you have a big surprise coming! Go with the flow and you will be much happier.

Kirk

Reply to
Kirk

That seems to directly contradict what Paul wrote.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Not to you, maybe.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Would a computer-rendered depiction satisfy this condition, one wonders? That would get around the prototype development cost problem.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

...and even if there were...they're realizing the benefits of that 4%.

Do y'all think this is the only logo, trademark, intellectual property, etc. that has a royalty ????

Reply to
user

Whereas Eljah Muhamed does, eh?

Who killed Malcolm X?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Aint no kid worth a crap. I am sick of ads on tv with kids mumbling and you can't understand what they say. Damn yuppie parents are the only ones that think that is cute

Reply to
Okiechoochoo

Yep, and there are going to be whole lot more old people in 10-30 years than young. It's the WW II baby boom growing old. You have to remember this: Most Congressmen are lawyers, not financial managers.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Hey, what about the kids blowing themselves to meet the virgins? Are they worth a crap? What does Allah say about this? I am getting mixed signals.

Reply to
MrRathburne

That's the director's fault.

Damn yuppie parents are the

Nevertheless, they ARE the future of this country.

My dad once had a quote taped up on the cupboard door that ran something like "The youth of today are lazy, have no respect for their elders or parents, are totally immoral...", etc. etc. It was purportedly a quote from Plato. Guess we've been saying the same thing for over 2000 years, but somehow keep on keeping on.

Males are pretty much self-centered a-holes until the age of about 22-26, when they finally realize the world _doesn't_ owe them a living. Some never do.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

To make sure it's a fair fight if you get in an accident with somebody else's?

Jay (who still drives a sedan)

Reply to
JCunington

Did you ever notice it's the 40- and 50-somethings sending 20-somethings out to blow themselves up? If it's so important, why don't THEY go?

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

I don't think it is the only company that charges a royalty, but it is one that is screwing model railroaders.

Reply to
HICJHH

Because they're not in any physical condition to be servicing 72 virgins?

Reply to
Sean S

I agree that the hobby is composed of real people, of course. But so is the UP. I think you way over estimate the block of shares belonging to model railroaders. The price of UP stock has actually risen since this announcement. I doubt that any turn down in UP revenue will result from bad press due to the TV coverage. UP is a billion dollar business. Model trains just don't have an affect on them. They are doing no different than most major companies are doing with their own logos.

Reply to
Jerry

LOL! Or having had multiple wives, or known someone who has, they know how much trouble more than one woman can be! Got my own, TYVM. Don't need more.

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington

Good point. All that heavy lifting must be paying off.......;-)

Reply to
MrRathburne