GG1 Coupler conversion

Has anyone successfully converted the AHM (Rivarrossi) GG1 to accept Kadee 37 couplers using the Kaydee instructions? If I use the existing coupler hole, I have to file off the front side of the draft gear box (besides the back) to clear the frame on the loco. Of course its better to file a $1.50 coupler than the frame of the engine. However if the side piece is filed, there will be nothing left to keep the housing closed. Since the original horn-hook couple was attached by a push in peg, is there a similar coupler that can just be screwed in without the whole draft gear box, springs, lids, etc (McHenry or Kadee)

Reply to
Jerry Abrams

No. But I did have very good success using the long discontinued MK-8 coupler. It hardly required any change to the Rivarossi pilot. I loved this compact old design, and bought every one I found on hobby store shelves after Kadee discontinued it as it did not support the "D" delayed uncoupling that probably less than half of Kadee users really use. These were a simple ring at the end of the shank that fitted up under a small plastic button that held a single circular centering spring. The MK-8 had a 5/16" shank with a centered head.

Many years ago, there was a "Kink" in MR about a hyper compact mounting for Kadee couplers on infrequently used steam loco pilots - take an old #4, cut off the rear three sides around the centering spring, pivot the coupler through the small hole Kadee provided but never used, and put a short piece of soft rubber band or foam rubber between the inside of the coupler pocket and the "flat" on the rear of the modified #4 to provide some crude centering. It worked well for me in several brass imports and on some Kemtron pilots used in detailing projects. You might be able to use the concept with a Kadee #5, with a little soft rubber pressing between the back of the Rivarossi pocket and the flat on the back of the #5, and simply retain the coupler with a 2-56 passing through the filed down lid from the #5 pocket so it looks like a mini stove pipe hat. Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

On 1/31/2008 2:11 PM Jerry Abrams spake thus:

After reading your post, I went and got my GG-1 and looked at it. Sure 'nuf, it's got Kadees on it (dunno what type exactly, but I'm guessing just regular #5s).

Mine's the IHC/Mehano (Slovenia) version*, which I assume is different from your Rivarossi, right? Anyhow, can't remember how I did it, but it wasn't that difficult.

  • Very nice model, by the way.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl