Help with reefer plans

Hi,

I have a real life 43 foot wood reefer car which I think dates back to the 1920s on my property in the countryside. It has not seen much modifications since it was put ther in the 60s. Has anyone out there got original or copies of contruction plans of wood reefers? I use it as a cottage and would like to renovate it but also keep it as original as possible.

Thank you

Dan Gagnon

Reply to
Dan

If you've got any model railroad magazines around, maybe you have one of these issues which has reefer plans in it:

Jeff Scherb

There are several 100's of different wood reefer designs that operated on the railways. No one source has them all. A good general book on refrigerator cars with many photos and general plans is "The Great Yellow Fleet" by White published in 1986 (you could try a source like

to locate a copy).

Can you provide any more info to help identify the car? What are it's exact outside dimensions? (These could trigger a match in an old Official Railway Equipment Register) Are the ends wood or metal, and if metal, what is the design of the ribs? What kind of roof did it have (metal or wood, etc.)? Do the ice hatches remain and how are they configured? (Are they flush with the roof or on raised platforms? Do they open towards the ends or the car or towards the middle?) (All these facts could give clues to the car type.) What is the area of the country in which it is located, and what RRs run nearby? (It is unlikely a distant foreign car would have been provided for local use.) Does any of the original metal hardware remain and does any have any markings? Can you post a photo of the car on one of the sites that accepts .jpg images? Gary Q

Reply to
Geezer

Geezer replied:

*** There are several 100's of different wood reefer designs that operated on the railways. No one source has them all. A good general book on refrigerator cars with many photos and general plans is "The Great Yellow Fleet" by White published in 1986 ***

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,000 sites:

Bill