Hopper Cargo Loads and Car Orientation

Would they have only partly filled the hoppers? If I recall correctly, gravel weighs significantly more per cubic yard than coal does.

As someone else mentioned, a car that commonly carried several commodities would have lines on the outside of car (and inside sometimes, but these got worn away pretty quick) indicating how full to load the car with each particular commodity.
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." - US President James Madison
"To be a social conservative is to believe that the poor have too much money, and the rich don't have enough." - J.K. Galbraith
"You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence." - Charles Austin Beard