How do I use undertable switches with that 2 in. foam? TIA!

How do I use undertable switches with that 2 in. foam? TIA!

Reply to
Kevin Miller

KM> How do I use undertable switches with that 2 in. foam? TIA!

*I* solved this problem with a small piece of 3/8" plywood. I cut a square hole in the foam with a 1/4" lip to support the plywood. Mounted the switch machines on the plywood. I ended up with a cross-section something like this ASCII drawing:

---------------------------------------

Reply to
Robert Heller

Reply to
Kevin Miller

I covered the entire bottom of the foam with 3/16" plywood on my new portable layout. I plan on gluing a wooden or masonite switch machine "holder" to the thin plywood.

Your method would work fine with motor driven switch machines, but I've got a plethora of old twin coil machines I might want to use. I thought my method would better resist the forces they generate.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

KM> I see, so you basically cut a "hole" in the foam, just not all the KM> wayy thru.... right?

The hole is completely through the foam, but there is a lip at the top. The piece of plywood is larger than the through hole.

Somewhat enhanced version of my original ASCII art:

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIII wrote: KM> KM> > Kevin Miller , KM> > In a message on Wed, 26 Nov 2003 23:28:11 -0500, wrote : KM> >

KM> >KM> How do I use undertable switches with that 2 in. foam? TIA! KM> >

KM> >*I* solved this problem with a small piece of 3/8" plywood. I cut a KM> >square hole in the foam with a 1/4" lip to support the plywood. KM> >Mounted the switch machines on the plywood. I ended up with a KM> >cross-section something like this ASCII drawing: KM> >

KM> >--------------------------------------- >XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX >FFFFFFFFFFFPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFF >FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFF KM> >FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFF KM> >FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFF KM> >FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFF KM> >FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFF KM> >FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFF KM> >FFFFFFFFFFFFF FFFFFFFFFFFFFF KM> >

KM> > \/ KM> >Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu KM> >

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com KM> >
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153 KM> >

\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu

|| snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com
/\FidoNet: 1:321/153

Reply to
Robert Heller

If the operating pin is long enough and you don't want to fit the plywood directly under the track you could dig a cavity under the turnout and glue a piece of plywood or thick styrene to the bottom of the cavity and fasten the motor there (or glue it to the underside o the blue foam stack, but 2 in is a long way for operating pin (may bend if so long resulting less force at turnout blades).

Tapiola club is experimenting with blue foam, our project is shown at:

Pekka Siiskonen

Reply to
Pekka Siiskonen