IHC Mogul

OK, I give up. According to the review in MR when this 2-6-0 came out, its minimum speed on straight DC was 5smph. I've got 2 of them that I'd never used and neither one will do less than 10smph without cogging. Pulse doesn't help much if at all. I'm running with an MRC Tech II powerpack.

I took one of them apart, cleaned and relubed it, adjusted the gear teeth clearance, and it runs no better than the one I didn't touch.

I did note a slight hesitation when the main rod and side rods are both horizontal on the right side, but I can see no cause for this other than a general sloppiness of fit. I'll remove the rods next and see what happens, but of course I don't think that'll help the cogging.

Have others had the same experience that I have or do your Moguls run at the 5smph that MR claimed for theirs?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Sometimes the rod lengths are wrong for the cheap models. Opening up the holes can help in some cases but be prepared to sleeve the holes if you go wrong. Plastic frames and metal siderods sometimes are just not done right with the problem of the plastic shrinking differently in the mold depending upon what the temp of the mold and plastic is along with the actual plastic used. In addition, some lubricants will change the size of the plastic as the lubricant goes into the plastic. Usually only one hole needs to be opened up to fix the whole problem although you may need to do both sides.

-- There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans! Go count if you don't believe me! Bob May

Reply to
Bob May

Thanks Bob. If removing the rods seems to help I'll try your fix before replacing them.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard