Inclines and levels

Hello all, Been a while as I have had to travel a lot for work recently, and can not get newsgroups away from home. Now back to the layout. I am building a reverse loop that will be a single track going over a double track. I am building the incline with Woodland Scenics 2% incline blocks (I in 20????). Like most, I am cramped for space so I need to build the decline as soon as possible after I reach the desired height. Question is, how long should I make the level section before the decline to avoid problems. I am modeling in 4mm and running mainly British passenger stock all fitted with Kaddee couplers. Hope all are well Rob

Reply to
Rob K

You don't need a level section but you do need a vertical curve with a minimum radius that does not allow the couplers to seperate at the change of grade, you should be looking at a radius of around 8 metres minimum, a smooth curve from your 2% up to the 2% down is better than two short curves with a level bit. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Rob=A0K wrote: Been a while as I have had to travel a lot for work recently, and can not get newsgroups away from home. Now back to the layout. I am building a reverse loop that will be a single track going over a double track. I am building the incline with Woodland Scenics 2% incline blocks (I in

20????). Like most, I am cramped for space so I need to build the decline as soon as possible after I reach the desired height. Question is, how long should I make the level section before the decline to avoid problems. I am modeling in 4mm and running mainly British passenger stock all fitted with Kaddee couplers.

----------------------------------------------------- Perhaps this would help "Larry Banchard's Vertical Curves":

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill
2% is 1 in 50, to get 1 in such and such from percentage grades, divide 100 by percentage figure. Regards, Bill. 20????). Like most, I am cramped for space so I need to build the decline as soon as possible after I reach the desired height. Question is, how long should I make the level section before the decline to avoid problems. I am modeling in 4mm and running mainly British passenger stock all fitted with Kaddee couplers.

----------------------------------------------------- Perhaps this would help "Larry Banchard's Vertical Curves":

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

William Pearce