Internet Cleaning:FWD from M.I.T.

nternet Cleaning

DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET FROM MARCH 31st 23:59 pm (GMT) UNTIL

12:01am (GMT) APRIL 1st.

*** Attention ***

It's that time again! As many of you know, each year the Internet must be shut down for 24 hours in order to allow us to clean it. The cleaning process, which eliminates dead email and inactive ftp, www and gopher sites, allows for a better-working and faster Internet.

This year, the cleaning process will take place from 23:59 pm (GMT) on March 31st until 00:01 am (GMT) on April 2nd. During that 24-hour period, five powerful Internet-crawling robots situated around the world will search the Internet and delete any data that they find.

In order to protect your valuable data from deletion we ask that you do the following:

  1. Disconnect all terminals and local area networks from their Internet connections.

  1. Shut down all Internet servers, or disconnect them from the Internet.

  2. Disconnect all disks and hardrives from any connections to the Internet.

  1. Refrain from connecting any computer to the Internet in any way. We understand the inconvenience that this may cause some Internet users, and we apologize. However, we are certain that any inconveniences will be more than made up for by the increased speed and efficiency of the Internet, once it has been cleared of electronic flotsam and jetsam.

We thank you for your cooperation.

Interconnected Network Maintenance Staff Main Branch, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Sysops and others: Since the last Internet cleaning, the number of Internet users has grown dramatically. Please assist us in alerting the public of the upcoming Internet cleaning by posting this message where your users will be able to read it.

Please pass this message on to other sysops and Internet users as well.

Reply to
Richard P. Feynman

Richard P. Feynman spake thus:

[...]

OMG. Thankyou for this warning. I'm going to EMAIL every body in my address book and let them know about this. BE CAREFUL, PEEPULZ. This is SO TRUE.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

One minor miscalculation is very evident (or maybe it isn't), is that the time frame mentioned at the start of this post only covers two minutes, not twenty four hours.

Reply to
Brian Smith

Brian Smith replied: One minor miscalculation is very evident (or maybe it isn't), is that the time frame mentioned at the start of this post only covers two minutes, not twenty four hours.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Whew! I was getting worried. This is the same day post offices the world over close for the Annual Postal Carrier Pigeon Races.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

Is it? I thought it was for the annual South African Trotting Duck and Norwegian Racing Salmon biathlon competition. Well, there you go. :-)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

Nope ! It's April Fools day , y'all :-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken Day

The Tech Model Railroad Club of MIT will be holding an emergency meeting this evening at 6pm to discuss the Internet cleaning issue. Meet in the clubroom and ignore the fact that it also needs cleaning. Dinner at Royal East to follow.

John Purbrick

Ken Day spake thus:

And the winner of this year's "Duh!" award is ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Did anyone notice the bad time designation? There is no such thing as

23:59pm, since the am/pm only apply to 12 hour clocks. Obviously the creator of this item had never used a 24 hour clock before. :-)

Sam

Reply to
Sam

Don't know about that. I have seen it done several different ways:

2359 23:59 23:59PM

I prefer the second option with the colon separator. The writer also made a date error in the first paragraph, which was corrected in the second DO NOT CONNECT TO THE INTERNET FROM MARCH 31st 23:59 pm (GMT) UNTIL

12:01am (GMT) APRIL 1st.

In a later paragraph the date was changed to 12:01am (GMT) APRIL 2nd to correctly reflect a 24 hour span

It should have read either from 23:59 until 00:01 OR from 11:59pm until

12:01am Jokes work better when they are not shot full of discrepancies. Froggy,
Reply to
Froggy

Froggy @ thepond..com spake thus:

Or if the discrepancies are well hidden.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The AM/PM designation seems to be redundant on a 24 hour clock (aka military time). 23:59 is always the same and there is no such thing as

23:59am, since 23:59 by definition always means 11:59pm.

Having spent 4 years in the military, at least that's the way we always used it.

Sam

Reply to
Sam