Is our hobby getting more expensive or what?

But "running" trains especially prototypically, is a relatively new phenomenon, isn't it? I'd think the point would be to run the trains AND build the models too.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

I feel pretty much the same way, but it seems to me that we are going to pretty much have to buy RTR as the supply of kits gets smaller and smaller. I spoke to an industry contact, and he tells me that with all of the interest in (and demand for) RTR, that it makes no sense to put things out in kit form. Personally, I'd rather turn a few screws, snap on a few parts and hang a few couplers myself to save about half the cost of the RTR model. But they (kits) must sit on the LHS shelves a lot longer than the RTR stuff because more and more, it's RTR that seems to be capturing a larger & larger share of the market.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

...but wouldn't it be fair to say that it wasn't trains, structures, locomotives or even skies, hills & trees that was being modeled at "Walt's Place??!?" : )

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

Your point is well made, but in my post, I was talking about the SAME items, not new & improved ones. Many of the rolling stock kits that are on the market today as RTR models are the same kits that we bought back in the

1970's (or maybe even earlier). Many of the old AHM kits from that era are still with us in different boxes and with drastically different prices. Yes, my BLI 2-6-6-4 Class A with sound is probably a much better model than what was available "back then," so that's kind of an apples & oranges comparison.

I remember buying a Mantua/Tyco 4-6-2 for around $30 when I first got interested in model trains back in the mid 1970's. Just before Mantua went out of the model railroad business, virtually that same engine was selling for about 5 - 6 times that amount. That's what I was talking about.

dlm

Reply to
Dan Merkel

True, but we are modeling railroad employees..................

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

the OTHER Mike spake thus:

... who aren't exactly model railroad employees ...

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Well, I guess that keeps professional layout builders employed. That would be a cool job :)

I suppose the bottom line is that some people want to model equipment and right-of-way as accurately as possible- others want to do the same with operations. The latter group certainly spend as much time learning and doing as do the former group. Those of us who would rather build stuff need to appreciate that, I guess. It still bugs me to read posts from people dissatisfied because the exact variant or paint scheme isn't available RTR, but at least they care about prototype fidelity, and there are only so many hours in a day. Modeling equipment accurately and modeling operations accurately are probably each full time jobs. We each have to prioritize.

Neither is better or more valid than the other. On the bright side, the odds of winning an NMRA steam locomotive scratchbuilding contest are better than they were 20 years ago :)

Dale

Reply to
Dale

10 points !

Ok, now I have to back to the club....I'm almost finished with Tri State's tile and brick yard, I would have finished sooner but while sitting at the workbench I spilled a bottle of paint thinner in my lap.........................

YEEE HAAAAAA, does THAT burn.

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

For some, that's right...

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

A HOBBY ?

I thought it was an obsession.........

Reply to
the OTHER Mike

"But "running" trains especially prototypically, is a relatively new phenomenon, isn't it? I'd think the point would be to run the trains AND build the models too. "

Nope. I was re-reading my old MR from the early 1970s and they were talking about operation back then. Back then without accurate scale models that was the only way to approach modeling to scale as opposed to running toys in circles.

Eric

Reply to
newyorkcentralfan

I think you just proved my point, Paul. If running trains is what floats your boat, fine. But that emphasis also causes RTR stuff to move off the shelves faster than kits or scratchbuilding supplies.

And even without that emphasis, I still prefer modeling trains rather than ships or planes, although I've built both. It's hard to build a model ocean and a model airport is boring. With railroad modeling I can build mountains and canyons, trees and rivers, towns and farms, mines and mills, etc.. And even throw in a little piece of that model ocean :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yep you are correct. The Model Railroad industry is pricing themselves out of business. When Athearn took over MDC they doubled their prices. One MR Hobby store closes every month. The focus of the MR industry is on profit. No longer is it's focus on helping others enjoy the hobby. Try to find free information about something in the hobby. Everyone is trying to sell their information. I just got an e-mail about someone looking for information on how to remove decals from Bachmann On30 locomotives and such. The e-mail was replied by suggesting the person go out and by the new On30 book from the authour, instead of just freely giving out the information. Although I and my children love the hobby. My children know that it will end with me. The focus of the hobby by the industry has to go back to what it was or it will cease to be enjoyed by all.

Reply to
dunrobin

If I am ingaged in a comercial activity and someone asks for am I suposed to give away my product? If it is my hobby then my advice is free.

Reply to
Charles Kimbrough

Gosh! We can't allow that to happen to the hobby!

Reply to
Mark Mathu

And why is that a bad thing?

The "ends" are the goals we'd like to achieve in our hobby and the "means" are what we do to achieve those goals. So if a person is in this hobby because their goal is to recreate a scene from their childhood or to operate in a protoypical modern manner, who are you or me to criticize what route that person takes to achieve thir goals?

The ends justifies the means. What a person does in this hobby should be judged by what they want to accomplish, not by what you want to accomplish.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

I'm all for weathering and dulling down the gleam of the poorly colored plastic, but the $60 is a bit high given the toylike quality.

Reply to
Steve Caple

No but doubling prices as soon as a product line is bought is ludicrous!

Reply to
Big Rich Soprano

Big Rich Soprano spake thus:

Hey, man, what the market will bear and all that. You live by capitalism, you die by capitalism.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Check out news:rec.models.railroad

Reply to