Is our hobby getting more expensive or what?

When I was new to the hobby as a teenager in the 50s about the cheapest kits around where Varney. The Varney flatcar ran $1.99 at the time. Now at the same time, gasolene ran 25 cents a gallon and you could get 15 cent McDonalds burgers. Minimum wage was a buck then so I worked 2+ hours to clear enough to make the purchase of a Varney flatcar kit.

I have to ask when you actually bought the $2.50 Athern and $4 AHM?

Have you tried the moidel RR shows (e.g. Greenberg, etc)? There's usualy a host of used stuff available at bargain prices...especially as the show gets close to the closing hour.

Yet one can still find inexpensive "train sets" if you look for them. I don't know if they did one this year, but Shoprite foodstores usually has an annual Christmas set for under $50...which is then marked down if any are left after Christmas.
Others too have pointed to the "scratch builders" as a way to keep costs down....especially for buildings.
Cheers, Bill S.
When was it ever cheap?
RLM
snipped-for-privacy@bright.net says...

I'm not going to start throwing out stats about income , prices , from 1950 to present and so on , although I have done a bit of research in that area the last couple days. Bottom line is this , I have never seen so many have so much in the way of high quality equipment , structures etc as in the last few years. Also , libraries of all sorts of expensive how to manuals , books and so on. Seems to me it's better than ever. I remember , as many of you do , when a 4'x8' layout on a grass mat with a few plastic building and a handful of motive power and freight cars was the norm , and it wasn't easy to come up with the bucks to purchase the stuff.
Just my .02 cents worth.
Ken Day Ken Day
Yep you are correct. The Model Railroad industry is pricing themselves out of business. When Athearn took over MDC they doubled their prices. One MR Hobby store closes every month. The focus of the MR industry is on profit. No longer is it's focus on helping others enjoy the hobby. Try to find free information about something in the hobby. Everyone is trying to sell their information. I just got an e-mail about someone looking for information on how to remove decals from Bachmann On30 locomotives and such. The e-mail was replied by suggesting the person go out and by the new On30 book from the authour, instead of just freely giving out the information. Although I and my children love the hobby. My children know that it will end with me. The focus of the hobby by the industry has to go back to what it was or it will cease to be enjoyed by all.
dunrobin wrote:

If I am ingaged in a comercial activity and someone asks for am I suposed to give away my product? If it is my hobby then my advice is free.

No but doubling prices as soon as a product line is bought is ludicrous!
Big Rich Soprano spake thus:

Hey, man, what the market will bear and all that. You live by capitalism, you die by capitalism.
--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.

Who's side are you on anyway?.. Go pay your exorbitant prices! As for me i'll scratch build wherever i can.

Who did that?

It was eluded to that as soon as Athearn bought MDC the prices were raised and in some cases doubled...
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 00:45:31 -0500, Big Rich Soprano wrote:

alluded, was the word that escaped and evaded you
--
Steve

Steve Caple spake thus:

Actually, the word was a-looted (I stole it).
--
The only reason corrupt Republicans rule the roost in Washington
is because the corrupt Democrats can't muster any viable opposition.

Yes and so did Athearn...
On Mon, 02 Jan 2006 07:36:47 -0500, Big Rich Soprano wrote:

Amen!
--
Steve

Well at least we have our memories! Another hobby of mine has gotten so out of reach it's not funny - slot cars! I used to be able to pick up a new car for around $20... Now the frame is $20! Sheesh... Everything is going up...

The funniest thing about this is that both of you seem to have missed the fact that Athearn didn't buy Roundhouse...Horizon Hobby bought Athearn, and then bought Roundhouse. Horizon then essentially gave Athearn the Roundhouse product line. The only companies I know that Athearn actually bought was Globe (the original F-unit) and Rail Power Products. They also bought the rights to Highliner's F-unit (the Genesis F-unit) in paint...note that Highliner is still in business selling undec. F's.
So, if Athearn didn't buy Roundhouse...how did they "steal" anything when it was given to them?
On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 17:51:29 GMT, Pac Man wrote:

"Looted" was the word he used - and Athearn isn't Athearn anymore, it's a name Horizon operates under.
--
Steve

Um, yes, but he also used "(I stole it)". Perhaps you did not read that far? Allow me to cut and paste the quote from David Nebenzahl's post on 1/2/06: "Actually, the word was a-looted (I stole it)."

Well, yeah. Athearn stopped being "Athearn" when Irv died and the family sold out. So far, I'm much more impressed with Athearn post Irv then I was before his death (and remember, I'm only basing that on what I've seen...and I'm 30.

And the minute difference is? not much... Horizon = Athearn Horizon = MDC ------------------------ Athearn = MDC
As far as the general hobby public is concerned, there's not much difference...
Big Rich Soprano wrote:

animal = dog animal = banana slug
dog = banana slug
Sorry, couldn't resist :-).