Is our hobby getting more expensive or what?

After thinking about it and perusing the magazines, I've modified my thinking. It's not so much that things are getting more expensive, but that there are more and more high end products and less and less low end products.

And I include scratchbuilding supplies as "low end" because they can save quite a bit of money.

This trend would seem to me to be a death knell for the hobby, as it'll be harder and harder to get young people with lower budgets into the hobby.

Oh, we'll survive, but it'll become more and more a hobby of well off old farts. Sort of like NMRA's domination by "life" members :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

hobby< While this may apply to some I also think it's a red herring. Has anyone noticed what younger people spend on clothes and electronic toys these days (among other things). I would think model railroading would seem cheap to them. They think nothing of popping 15 to 20 bucks for the latest shriek on CD* and that's a very nice freight car cost.

  • and these become the latest "pull" material in very short time!
Reply to
Jon Miller

Reply to
dunrobin