Is our hobby getting more expensive or what?

Check out news:rec.models.railroad

Do you expect people that make model RR supplies (kits, RTR or whatever) should NOT be profit oriented?

I suspect that back in the 50's, companies like Mantua and Varney still had a profitable bottom line or else they couldn't have stayed in business.

This newsgroup forum is FREE as are a large amount of personal websites created by fellow model RRers, many of which contain lots of FREE "how-to" info.

And just what was that focus as it related to those people making a livig as model RR vendors and/or manufacturers?
There is NO free lunch.
Cheers, Bill S.
Well I have to say that you bring up some points, but let me share my experience and why I no longer bother with the kits.
Years ago, I bout a great deal of Roundhouse kits for N-Scale. Yes they were cheap but I got what I paid for. Most od the trucks were not the right style for the cars, the wheel axles were all warp and wouldn't roll true. In the end, I had to repalce the trucks and couplers with Micro-Trains and that ended up adding $5.00 a pices to the cars. So now my kit was just as expensive as the product from Atlas and even Micro-Trains, in some cases. So what is the sense in not getting the quality product a a slightly higer price?
Cost conscience is one thing, but never short change on quality. I have Kato engines that I have had since the early 1990's, and thanks to some lubrication advice, they are still running well. I can not say the same for Life-Like, Model Power and others that I purchased. I have not spent a great deal, but spent wisely. Sometimes over the net and sometimes at going out of business sales. Or sometimes at the end to train meets as another suggested. If this is a lifetime hobby, doesn't it make sense to invest in the future?
David
Dan Merkel wrote:

It seems strange that someone who has more cars and kits than they'll ever really need would start a thread about the cost of this hobby.
I can think of an obvious way to rein in costs if it really bothers you.
____ Mark