Lionel Santa Fe #2243

I just received a Lionel Santa Fe #2243 that I purchased off e-bay.
The seller had assured me that the train ran great and from his
feedback I have no reason to disbelieve him. However I can't get the
train to run. It does not seem to get power but as I have continually
taken it on and off the track occassionally it will start and run a
short distance. It is not my track because I have tried my other
engines. I have contacted the seller but have not had a reponse yet
and I really don't want to make a big deal out this if the problem is
something obvious or there is a compatiblity problem with my track.
Any thoughts as what the problem may be? I am thinking it may be a
short.
Reply to
Bill