Masonite backdrops

I am starting the framework on my new layout and am going to use 1/8" Masonite for the backdrops. It is my first around the wall layout and thus
first backdrop. What radius can I expect to achieve in bending it around the corners. I am planning on 16 or 18 inches. I have heard that wetting the Masonite will make it take a bend better. Any suggestions?
Richard Foster wrote:

Have you thought of using sheet Polystyrene? Available in the same thickness and much more stable than Masonite - totally unaffected by the water in plaster, for instance. Price a sheet from a plastics supllier near you and compare.
Steve
I already have the Masonite and hopefully all the lumber. I waited until I needed a lot of other stuff at Home Depot and had it all delivered. My wife who is going to paint the backdrop prefers it anyway.
Thanks

I don't believe that you are going to have to wet the Masonite to achieve a good bend with it around the curve.

I agree. I used 1/8" Masonite in the corners of my layout with a similar radius and it worked fine. Been up 11 years now.
--
73 de KT0T
Bob Schwartz
kt0t wrote:

We use nothing but masonite................about 400 feet of it..
Just make sure to countersink your screws at the joints to make it an easier job of tapeing and floating.
Use a deeper blue than you even think is right, then airbrush the white from the bottom to get haze.
1/8" masonite will bend to a 20" or os radius without too much problems. I do suggest that you glue battens to the back surface so that the pull will be even on the stuff. Water will make it easier to bend but be careful to apply an even coat of water and not too much or the bend won't be even.
-- Yeppie, Bush is such an idiot that He usually outwits everybody else. How dumb!
Richard Foster wrote:

Wetting the masonite will break the glaze and raise a texture, which will be difficult to disguise with paint. I've bent it dry and it works just fine. I've even done it alone, although an assitant can be a real help. To do a corner, follow these steps.
1. put up battens for the entire length of the masonite strip
2. fasten the strip to a batten securely at one end
3. press the strip into the corner and fasten the strip at the two closest battens to that corner
4. fasten the strip to the remaining battens
I've bent masonite to an 18" radius using this method with no problems.
Thank all of you for the advise.
R Foster