MILW horizontal rib boxcars

Over what time span did the Milwaukee Road shops build their 40' and 50' horizontal rib welded boxcars?

Reply to
Mark Mathu

Have to do some checking, but from the late 30s to after WW2, in three distinct phases.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

1936 to 1940 for 40' boxcars. Source (RMC review of new kit of these cars) says they used the ribs on 50' boxcars and passenger cars before that, but gives no dates.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Steam Era Freight Cars cites 1939-40 as build dates for Phase I cars, with ribs running the full length of the carbody.

Nehrich, in the NEB&W Steam Era Freight Car Guide cites 1941 as the build date for the Phase II cars, which had ribs that stopped short of the grabs and ladders on the ends. This phase is offered as a kit by MDC.

Nehrich states that the Phase III cars were built post-war using Improved Dreadnaught ends, which were introduced in 1944, but does not specify an actual date.

I have an article somewhere giving details of the 50' cars, if I can find it I'll post the build dates, etc.

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to
mark_newton

These are nice models if you can get them. Require a little work but not much, see article in RMC.

Jon Miller

All the best,

Mark.

Reply to