Modeling Tip Question: Text 'carved' into stone.

I was wondering if anyone has tips on the best way to model something like the text across the lintel of a masonry building that is carved
(or cast) in the stone or concrete (typical for things like courthouses or libraries and the like). I'm working in H0 and would like to do this using styrene. I have a computer and really know how to use it (I figure I *could* just code up some Postscript code to do it in 2D (and print it on sticky-back paper) with a 3D 'effect' but wonder if that would just be too 'cheesy').
\/ Robert Heller ||InterNet: snipped-for-privacy@cs.umass.edu http://vis-www.cs.umass.edu/~heller || snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com http://www.deepsoft.com /\FidoNet: 1:321/153
Add pictures here
βœ–
One possibility might be to produce a mask and then etch in the lettering with solvent into Plastic.
Anyone got any good ideas on how to create the mask?
            dave
Robert Heller wrote:

Add pictures here
βœ–

Etch the letters in brass using PCB etchant from Radio Shack and a Sharpie Marker or dry transfers for the mask.

--
Jason Davies
Master Gizmologist
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 01:11:58 +0200, Robert Heller wrote:

One of those $8,000 laser cutters would probably do it very nicely.
http://www.versalaser.com/english/index.html
--
Steve

Add pictures here
βœ–
Steve wrote:
"One of those $8,000 laser cutters would probably do it very nicely.
http://www.versalaser.com/engl ­ish/index.html"
They're down to $8 grand now? Cool. I remember about six years ago they were $20k.
A couple more years an we can all have one.
Eric
Add pictures here
βœ–

Damn! You mention this idea right *after* Father's Day!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Absolutely no need for plastic or brass etching with custom masks or for $8000 laser cutters. Bar Mills offers "Billboard-in-a-Bag", a kit intended to make your own custom billboards but the key is that it contains 200 individual etched-brass letters ready to mount in any fashion you might care too. The best part is that its priced at around $18 at the LHS...a savings of $7980 over that laser cutter!
CNJ999
Add pictures here
βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@deepsoft.com says...

Before you discount the 2D approach, check out the following web site where 3D architectual details are done in 2D, in 1-to-1 scale.
http://www.ericgrohemurals.com/projects.html
βœ–
On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 17:34:11 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.ads (Ken Rice) wrote:

    In the film industry "carved" letters rarely are. Instead regular letters with proper shading are used as the human eye is a relatively easy to fool things. A good shaded letter can appear incised unless you reach out and touch it. It is also a lot cheaper than all the carving and quicker too.
                            cat
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dear Sir:
Go to your drafting supply store and buy a stencil-type lettering guide, or get one of the cheaper ones at the department store. Use something pointed to scribe the letters, with _several light strokes_. Add serifs by using a ruler.
Cordially yours, Gerard P.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Dear folks:
An alternative to the expensive Bar Mills letters for the applied metal type is gold-painted alphabet noodles...and you can make soup from the rest of 'em.