Module Standards for HO scale, re: T-nuts

A "shifter" is a shifting spanner.

An adjustable wrench, in other words.

(Awful bloody things.)

Reply to
Mark Newton

----- Original Message ----- From: Newsgroups: rec.models.railroad Sent: Saturday, April 03, 2004 12:12 AM Subject: Re: Module Standards for HO scale, re: T-nuts

Shifting spanner, = buggered if I know in US. Adjustable wrench?

"slip-joint pliers" That's easy - multigrips! Sometimes pipe wrench.

Now, about drills and drill bits.. :)

Steve Mechanically-challenged, NSW

Reply to
Steve Magee

Again, I agree that the threaded insert is best. I've used them in woodworking jigs for years.

But I've also seen one lock to the inserted bolt and come out with it :-). What happens is if you tighten a bolt too much, it compresses the wood threads which loosens the insert. And "too much" depends on the type of wood.

But that should not be a concern in the application we're talking about.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

OK, repeat after me: A drill motor is something you use to drive a drill.

A drill is a tool that is used to cut, or bore, a hole in a piece of material known as "the workpiece"

A bit is a type of cutting tool that is used in a brace or a router. There are also a few other kinds of bits such as Forstner bits and the bit you put in a horse's mouth, but.........

there is no such tool as a drill bit.

Vegemite is the stuff which you reward yourself for successfully completing this lesson I think I will ring-off and go get myself some right now.

Reply to
Froggy

Ahem......... 'Scuze me, but....... Using the proper equipment from the beginning obviates the need for a "solution".

............F>

Smug, GA.

Reply to
Froggy

knuckle buster

Reply to
Steve Caple

Cool. Now I understand. Can we now also discuss Kadee glad hands and sound decoders? :)

BTW, in 1960's, I flew regularly on Viscounts and Electras before the 727's arrived. Couldn't believe the difference! So quiet and smooth! (The 727, I refer to!) Missed out on flying in the Super Constellation, though - now that plane I liked! Saved Qantas' arse. Ah, memories.

Steve Old Folks Home, NSW

Reply to
Steve Magee

Which brings us full circle. :-) Those who wish to be engineering purists are obligated to use actual leg adjusters, rather than *any* of the makeshift solutions that have been proposed, including inserts. But that's not necessary.

Even tee nuts are a perfectly good solution, provided that a long-enough bolt is used that it extends up into a close fitting hole so that its upper end helps bear radial loads. The tee nut is engineered to work in compression, relative to its direction of installation, and that's exactly what it's doing in this case.

An installation where the tee-nut can be pried out when the table is shoved sideways is simply a bad implementation. An installation in which the tee-nut can't get twisted out by radial loads is just fine. It requires the drilling of two (stepped) holes, but turns a mis-implementation into a satisfactory one.

A little adhesive (e.g., epoxy) can be used at the leg/tee nut interface by those concerned about retention.

Reply to
John Miller

A device good only for burring the flats on nuts or bolt heads.

Reply to
Mark Newton

ANYTHING you want to thrash out is fine just so long as it's not politics. That one is a complete waste of time and resources for everybody.

I want to know what is going to happen to all the big electric locos now that electrification is a goner. Surely some of them are going to be stored and/or saved? I don't suppose it's possible to ever run them again, but it sure would be nice to keep a couple of them around

Three of the airlines that served my hometown had turbo-props. Capital had Viscounts, Eastern and National flew Electras. All three had Constellations. National also had DC-7s. I always tried to schedule any trips that I took on one of these types as I did not care for riding the jets. I did like to ride the Caravelle, and did so frequently when I had to go somewhere on United, but only after the Viscount was retired from the route. The Constellations did not operate alongside the new Electras for very long and were retired from my area in the early '60s. The last time I rode a Constellation was about 1962. The last time I rode a DC-7 was 1967. That one I remember quite clearly as we were supposed to have had a Convair 880, but engine problems grounded the plane and a DC-7 was substituted. It was almost the last flight for the DC-7 as well. I think the last Electra I rode in was shortly thereafter; maybe somewhere around 1971 or '72.

Once I no longer had a choice, I learned to tolerate the jets, but I still miss not seeing the big whirling disc of the propeller and the engines nodding in their mounts as the machine goes through its routines. I did make a point of riding in Convair

880s and 990s, which were some of the rarest of US jets. I can only remember American, Delta, Northeast TWA as having any Convairs. Alaska got a couple secondhand.

It's somewhat ironic, isn't it, that the last time I fired a steam locomotive was less than ten years ago......AND......that I could go back to doing it this afternoon if I so desired

Reply to
Froggy

Correct.

Everyone understands that a royaly effed-up kludge is far superior to doing it correctly It demonstrates how independent and creative you are. It's the same sort of thinking that goes into the "engineering" of Microsloth software.

...............F>

Shaking Head, GA.

Reply to
Froggy

Froggy@The wrote: >

Froggy, are you referring to the electric locos here in NSW? A few examples of both 46 and 86 class locos have been preserved in running order, and are available for use within the CityRail electrified network. The remainder are apparently stored at Broken Hill if my sources are correct.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Mark,

Not to go too far afield with this thread, but wasn't Broken Hill the location where the second Mad Max film ("The Road Warrior" in the US) was filmed?

Dieter Zakas

I'd swear a "T-nut" was a fanatic of what is fundamentally rusty water.

Reply to
Hzakas

Ya, I know that a few are at Broken Hill, but what of the 85s. What a GREAT machine. Pity to see them lost as were some of our finer efforts. I would really like to have a model of an 85, several of them actually to make a two or three unit consist.

Reply to
Froggy

Dieter, I have never seen any film in the Mad Max franchise, so I can't answer your question. But given that many movies are filmed in that area, it is entirely possible. It is certainly desolate enough... :-)

Reply to
Mark Newton

They have been moved from storage at Lithgow loco, now closed, so I assume that they too have gone to BH. I can find out easily enough.

Reply to
Mark Newton

Correct. Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia.

Reply to
Corelane

You mean religion is OK??

Just kidding, just kidding :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Ummmm, Wouldn't a new leg be cheaper than a tube of epoxy and a roll of stress tape?? OK, I'll grant you, the tape can be saved for other uses, but the epoxy kit will be a brick before its needed again. It scares me to think what you would use to fix a car, and then get on the same road with me.

I've also used 2x4 legs with "t" nuts in them for about 10 years now. Have'nt lost a bolt or split a leg yet. Quality wood and proper installation is all thats required. We have on occasion lost a hex bolt, but only because it was unscrewed too far in an effort to make up for a radical dip in the floor. After all, one of the places we exhibit is also renowned for its livestock shows.

Chooch

Reply to
chooch

I am bemused about this thread. I cannot believe that so many people can come up with so many suggestions and reasons for not building things as they ought to be built. ESPECIALLY since every alternative suggestion is both more expensive AND more difficult to acomplish than the correct method. It scares me to think what kind of "home improvements" might have been made by some members of this group. So then, I guess it's about time we changed the name of the group to rec.models.kludge.

Reply to
Froggy