Module Standards for HO scale, re: T-nuts

There's always a use for epoxy and strapping tape. No home should be without it. Consider, for instance, the door lock keyholes on the local Muzak or cigarette distrubutor's office.

Reply to
Steve Caple

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Newton" Newsgroups: rec.models.railroad Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 2:11 AM Subject: Re: Module Standards for HO scale, re: T-nuts

Let me spring to the defence of the shifter here. If I was working on cars? No way. (and I don't work on cars anymore). Anything that was run up tight. No.

But! To adjust aforementioned layout legs? For my wife to release/tighten her mower handle? Sure thing. Love 'em. Everything has it's place! Reminds me of the time my wife asked for a little tool set with screwdriver, plier, tape, hammer in it. She got one for a few Christmas's back, a $19.99 K-Mart special in a green plastic case. That rotten thing is probably the most used tool set in the Magee residence - and I have a lifetime collection of quality carpentry and mechanical tools in the garage!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

Yeah, we're all out of step but you, Froggy. (But wasn't it you who suggested using a threaded insert rather than a proper leg adjuster? Apologies if not.)

Reply to
John Miller

Uhhh, what?

If a threaded insert along with a swivel-foot leg adjuster is not a "proper" leg adjuster then, pray tell, what is? A lag screw jambed into a wallowed out wooden hole perhaps? Maybe a large screw-eye as I have also seen?

The threaded insert is embedded into the wooden leg to provide a permanent, fixed, hard metal threaded hole for the adjusting foot to travel in. It is engineered for that purpose and is the most perfect thing for the job. Whatever do you think I said? Did you perhaps miss the part about using the adjusting feet?

I can show you how to build a completely self-levelling table if you want to spend the money and if you think that it is a better approach.

Reply to
Froggy

Just pointing out the the far coarser thread of the lag bolt *IS* an advantage (when one has dozens of legs to adjust on VERY uneven floors). In practice, lag bolts cause little problem, and that easily fixed.

But I agree that threaded inserts are a better way to from most all other perspectives.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Froggy@The, P>

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

The 'Connie" was a pretty thing, compared to it's mostly bulbous or lumpy competitors at the time. We had a restored one fly into Flint a couple years ago, all done up in the USAF 'MATS' scheme of silver, blue and yellow. Just beautiful!

Dan Mitchell ==========

Steve Magee wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

I bought some threaded inserts at Lowes. When I installed them, they tore up the pine I was putting them in. I tried to install them in particle board and the same thing happened. I wound up using a better fastener called a barrel nut. It is a round piece of metal, usually brass, with threads in the side. You drill a hole in the side of the table leg a couple inches up from the end. Then you insert this nut . Thread a long hex bolt through a regular nut you will be using as a jam nut. Next thread the hex bolt into a t-nut on the end of the leg that is where you drilled the hole for the barrel nut and thread it into the barrel nut. Place some wood plugs on both sides on the barrel nut to hold it in place. Adjust the leg and tighten the jam nut against the t-nut.

Never lost one yet and it just adds to the poor construction now.

These barrel nuts are available at Rockler Woodworking.

-- Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

  • * * Build a DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03

  • * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
  • * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
  • * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
  • * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
  • * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
  • * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03
Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker

We decided earlier in the thread that those were called "cross- dowels". I called them barrel nuts too, but I was wrong.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We've got one here in Sacramento at the McClellan Aviation Museum - but it's an EC-121 (with the radomes). I'll never forget flopping along at 2500 feet in an H-3 and seeing a Connie on SAM patrol (call sign "Tasty Nostril") cruising along below us, leaving four distinct prop wakes on the water.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Actually, you called them "barrel bolts" - the gate or door closures - and barrel nuts is an OK name, if not as precise.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Lockheed L-1049-G in Eastern Airlines "Golden Falcon" livery: arguably the most beautiful airplane ever.

National Airlines L-1049-H delivery livery was but a half-step behind the Golden Falcon.

Reply to
Froggy

Perhaps a fellow Aussie here (Mark?) can comment, but I seem to remember a restored Super Connie, in full Qantas paint, flying back into Oz in the last few years. There is this reference:

which refers to it being stored. Albion Park is just south of Sydney, or about 200k south of me here in Newcastle. Would love a good photo of a Qantas Super Connie as my wallpaper. Make a change from (alternating) XP Blue or something train-ish!

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

Yep. I saw it a year or two ago when it was in Hobart for a few days. If I can find the photos easily I'll post them somewhere.

Regards,

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart D.

They have an EC-121 at the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, FLA, too. I'm glad a couple got saved, but the EC-121 'conversion' package ('potbelly' and dorsal fin) sure didn't do much for the Connie's basic good looks!

I think there are only a couple real 'Connies' (unmodified) still flying.

There was an interesting program on one of the TV documentary channels (History?) a few weeks ago on a bunch of Australian aircraft buffs that found a Connie in a boneyard here in the USA, restored it, and flew it back to Australia. Good Show! I'm not really 'into' aircraft all that much, but appreciate the work and dedication that goes into such a project.

My own historical restoration efforts consist of volunteer work on the local 3' gauge steam railroad (Huckleberry RR), and assisting in the restoration of an M-18 'Hellcat' tank destroyer for the local Buick museum. The M-18s were all built by Buick. We have our M-18 running, and looking good, but there are LOTS of less obvious things to attend to yet ... probably another years worth ... like literally hundreds of track-link joints to 'rebush'. Whee!.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Steve Caple wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

It says that the flying machine was "rescued" from America, but it doesn't say whether it was North or South America, nor which American country the thing was in. The continents of America make a big place. There are lots of airplanes sitting around in South America because they can't fly anymore and there is no facility for scrapping them, so they just sit for decades. In many cases it is possible to restore them to flying status -- IF-- you have enough money. North America seems to me to be a wasteland for restorable aircraft as most have been either restored or scrapped.

Are there any serviceable Lockheed Electras in Oz? Are any still flying? I avearge seeing one here in Georgia about once every four or five years. Saw one at Atlanta airport last fall (spring down-under)

Reply to
Froggy

It was retrieved from the aircraft boneyard at Davis-Monthan in Arizona.

> Are there any serviceable Lockheed Electras in Oz?

Not that I'm aware of, unless you count the RAAF's Orions! :-)

Reply to
Mark Newton

Mark, thanks for that. An interesting site, one I will explore and keep as a favourite. Now, if they can just get the photo album of the Connie up... :)

Steve

Reply to
Steve Magee

Had one visit our local air show several years ago...nice and shiny!

Don't bother to reply via email...I've been JoeJobbed.

Reply to
Jeff Sc.

Years ago before I got back into trains, I was "into" RC airplanes. The gas engine mounts were bolted to a thin plywood bulkhead. The tiny bolts screwed into tiny T-nuts installed in the bulkhead. However, it was standard practice to epoxy the T-nuts to the plywood bulkhead after they were installed to keep them from vibrating loose. This is what I would do if I ever used them in layout legs.

Take care,

Paul - "The CB&Q Guy" (Happily Modeling 1969 In HO)

Reply to
Paul K - The CB&Q Guy