MTH - Good Quality & Value?

I am considering purchasing an MTH starter set and want to know if they are of good quality, reliability and value. I was considering Lionel but these seem to be more expensive than MTH. In addition, I really like the MTH snap-together track with built-in roadbed.

I had been considering HO and N but decided on the larger gauge sets since they include sound and smoke and are more durable should my 2+ year grandson grab one by mistake.

I would appreciate any suggestions or comments. Thanks.

Reply to
Fred Berry

I have never owned one and don't know, but I just wanted to mention a discussion earlier this month on this group about boycotting them because of some patent issues. I don't claim an interest in it either way, just FYI.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

Fred=A0Berry wrote: I am considering purchasing an MTH starter set and want to know if they are of good quality, reliability and value. I was considering Lionel but these seem to be more expensive than MTH. In addition, I really like the MTH snap-together track with built-in roadbed.

The current Lionel sets have FasTrack. This is snap-together track with built-in roadbed. Lionel's Pennsylvania Flyer sets list price is $179.99 and has smoke. You should be able to find one for considerably less than that. Trainworld usually has good prices:

History of N Scale:
Links to over 700 helpful sites:

Bill

In order to get the most from the MTH sets they need to be operated with their remote DCS system while most of the Lionel sets even those that come with Railsounds can be operated using the transformer that comes with the set.

If you are considering an MTH steamer set you will find that you need to turn off the smoke unit because it is overwhelming. The Lionel steamer sets produce a reasonable amount of smoke without setting off your smoke alarms.

I think the new Fastrack system that Lionel has developed is superior to the MTH Realtrack. I find that the MTH track sometimes has sharp edges that can be out of alignment causing operational problems. The new Lionel Fastrack does not have these problems.

The new Lionel 80 watt transformer that is included with the new sets has both a variable output for operating the engine but also a variable accessory output for operating accessories or lighting.

While you are checking out pricing go on a search engine and look up Nassau Hobby Shop in Freeport NY. Charlie has some great prices and provides prompt service. They carry both Lionel and MTH.

You might also go to Lionel's and MTH's web site and check out their starter set offerings.

Reply to
TRAINMAN9

Fred:

I own a 'slug' of MTH equipment.... Engines, cars, but no MTH track..

Their Engines & cars come in three levels of 'detail/expense'.... The Engines have superb pulling power for the dollar...

Only thing to watch on MTH engines is the BATTERY for the 'brain box'... It must be kept charged to do its.... tricks... Check to see if your MTH Engine of choice 'accepts' the MTH Proto 2 chargers... They now come in two varieties : 8.4 V & 3V???

As for a track system... K-Line 0-27 style has many radius options...

Every th>

Reply to
Dennis Mayer

Your a bit inaccurate with this remark

"In order to get the most from the MTH sets they need to be operated with their remote DCS system"

First, PS2 engines have far more features than any Lionel engine, and while it does take the DCS system to activate ALL of them, you can still operate the protocouplers(both front and rear independently), PFA announcements, cruise control(something no Lionel set engine has) that can be disabled if you so desire with the included railking remote or Zcontroller,

What the DCS system will allow is to tailor the running operation of the engine to your liking. For instance, you can set top speed, acceleration rate and deceleration rate in 1 SMPH increments, smoke volume(most come from the factory either Medium or Max, and yes they do produce which is nice since I've not seen a Lionel engine yet that does produce a visible smoke at lower operating voltage), clickity clack, doppler effect, individual volume settings, numerous sound effect for various operational procedures specific to a given engine. This is just to name a few.

You can't touch a Lionel set with TMCC for anywhere near what you can pick up a DCS ready set from MTH. Everything that a Lionel engine can be made to do from a controller, same goes for an MTH engine and more.

This is no bash on Lionel, just fact.

Now, as for the track system, all I hear is good things about Lionel's new Fastrack. With the exception of assortment, which will come in time.

Reply to
Rod March