n scale transfer table

Does any one have any experience with building or know of any plans for an n scale transfer table? I'm willing to buy (within reason) but I can't find one to buy.

Reply to
marc

Brawa makes/made one (#1130) also Model Power offers/offered one (#6513). They are a bit expensive, though. You might check Walthers.

Bill Bill's Railroad Empire

BillsRREmpire

Just a tip if you try building one: junked printers are a good source of cogged belts and cogwheels.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Didn't Fleischmann offer one in N scale also? How about Arnold? I know both made turntables but I'm not 100% sure about transfer tables. Maybe Minitrix?

I'm almost sure that I saw one that was a transfer table which also rotated (like a turntable). I don' t think that one was BRAWA.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Petesky replied: Didn't Fleischmann offer one in N scale also? How about Arnold? I know both made turntables but I'm not 100% sure about transfer tables. Maybe Minitrix? I'm almost sure that I saw one that was a transfer table which also rotated (like a turntable). I don' t think that one was BRAWA.

------------------------------------------------- Your memory is a lot better than mine, Petesky. I believe you are right. I suspect that the same transfer table was marked by several manufacturers. I do remember the combination table but can't recall the manufacturer.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

Isn't a transfer table just a spare loco mechanism set into a girder bridge?

Seems to me that's how the prototype would go about making one--electric nowadays, but a steam goat a hundred years ago.

Indexing would be a challenge, but probably not moreso than with a turntable.

Reply to
Charles Krug

And no more necessary, assuming it's anywhere near enough for the operator to see when the rails are aligned.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Reply to
William Pearce

Bill wrote: Either the Mass Transit Rly. or the Kowloon-Canton Rly. in Hong Kong has one such device inside their workshops. A most fascinating arrangement to see working.

--------------------------------------------------- I remember seeing one at one of D.C. Transit's car barns (Washington, D.C.) years ago. It moved streetcars from one track to another. It was indeed fascinating.

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

Maybe my memory is better but still not good enough to remamber the specific details. Just a vague recollection...

One of the members of the local N-Trak CLub I belong to had an ENgine Service Facility where he had the BRAWA unit installed (plain transfer table). It was quite impressive to watch. It moved in a realistically slow manner. But it had its share of hiccups too. I remember that he had to often clean the contacts at the edge of the pit. Those feed the power to the bridge motor.

:-) Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Reply to