Need A Hobby?

And you are making the assumption that everyone's Usenet reader displays in the same way as yours. My news reader picked up the other post, but displayed it below this thread, so your point was lost on me until I saw your explanation. I don't think I'm thick or that I have a defective news reader.

Maybe you'll post the Roehring rules for Usenet reading so that we can all enjoy your witticisms in the future. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"P. Roehling" skriver:

One what ?

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

On 1/29/2008 6:37 AM Klaus D. Mikkelsen spake thus:

I think you've figured this out by now; let me guess: your mail/news client (Mozilla 4.51 [da]) must start a new thread when the subject line changes, right? Kind of strange behavior: my Mozilla client (Thunderbird) shows all messages in the same thread, regardless of changed subject lines. (Google Groups also has this strange quirk, where a changed subject line initiates a new thread.)

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Sounds like a setup problem. RTFM?

PS - which is your newsreader - a real newsreader or some part of Outhouse Excess or Mozilla/Thunderbird e-mail?

Reply to
Steve Caple

David Nebenzahl skriver:

No, it keeps track of the msg-id's end threads them by it.

I have discovered the reference to the original posting but it doesn't come up (rubbish on my server??) as a beginning of a thread.

But all this shows how important qouting is....

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus D. Mikkelsen

On 1/29/2008 10:21 AM Steve Caple spake thus:

He's using Forte Agent, as anyone with a *real* news client will be easily able to determine.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

wrote

You mean there's a newsreader out there that normally displays posts out of sequence rather than putting the answers *after* the OPs in the order they were posted? If you've really got one like that, I'd suggest getting another.

That way you can not only enjoy my witticisms, but can make sense of all the other threads as well.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

There are newsreaders out there with which you can choose the display order...

Reply to
Wolf K.

It may surprise you to know that there are newsreaders with choices as to how messages are displayed, unlike Outlook Express. I use Forte Agent and I choose to display my threads with the newest ones at the top. There are several options for thread and message display and one of them would suit your requirements, but I haven't got a Roehling detector to switch automatically to that method when one of your gems appears.

Also, when I read a message in Agent, it gets marked read. When I leave the group and return, I have Agent set to not display read messages - I can choose to display previously read messages if I wish. You responded to the post about 90 minutes after it first appeared according to the post times on my reader. So there was more than enough time for me to have exited and returned to r.m.r. several times and previously read messages would not have shown. So even if my reader had been set to display messages in the order which you required, the earlier message would not have shown.

Tell you what, you tell us what you expect us all to do - that's all of us on the Usenet worldwide who might chance to read your posts. There could be millions of us, and we would all have to get Outlook Express and set it up the way you require.

Go for it - Roehling Rulez :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Similarly with other newsreaders. What a waste to keep displaying already-read (or chosen-not-to-be-read) messages! It's not as though the wisdom (or even the existence) of a typical newsgroup message warrants repeated display.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

The "no text" convention is never, ever to be used on usenet, because it's actually impossible to have a post with no text. Save it for web forums, and even then don't do it. *

Reply to
PV

"Wolf K." wrote

I know. Mine included. But how could anyone set up a display order where the later posts came first, and then not *know* that it was doing so and read them in the wrong order?

The problem here seems to be that Jim's newsreader program follows threads by title rather than by which post follows which in a given sequence, and I don't see that as being *my* problem.

Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

"PV" wrote

Shrug. I don't see any steeking badges around here.

Reply to
P. Roehling

The problem is that if an older post has already been disposed of and is no longer displayed, a new post with a different title and no content is unrelated to anything whatever.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

On 1/29/2008 1:41 PM Eddie Oliver spake thus:

I disagree; to me, it would be a waste *not* to see already-read messages. How on earth can you know the context of messages otherwise? I mean the display of already-read *subject headers* in a list; isn't this the default display for most newsreaders? I know it is for Thunderbird.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Because people should quote the specific bit being followed up, just as in these messages.

The View menu offers many options. Default displays are for those who don't think for themselves.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

On 1/29/2008 8:15 PM Eddie Oliver spake thus:

Hmm; I like the default message-list display in T-bird; suits me fine. Does that mean I can't think for myself?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Depends whether you have evaluated the alternatives. If you make a conscious decision to keep a huge amount of junk on the screen, that is of course your choice, but if you just rely on the default blindly, you get what you deserve.

Reply to
Eddie Oliver

Utter nonsense.

Reply to
Mark Mathu

"Eddie Oliver" wrote

So? I've had that happen to me multiple times, and if I can't figure out a post's origins from the context I don't let it bother me; I move on to the next thread.

After all, what we do here is not going to affect global warming one way or another.

Reply to
P. Roehling