Not the best time to buy a beginners set?

my original thread was not about Holiday train sets, just that cheap stuff is offered this time of year.

what I envision is an old west theme, somewhere in Arizona. the engine, coal tender and 1-2 passenger cars? (how many usually?) putzing through the desert. a small station, water tower, maybe a stagecoach waiting for the train. Indians on a bluff watching......... men digging posts for the telegraph wires, etc....... sand and cactus, that's the plan...... now to see if it can be done.

Craig

Craig you might want to look at some of the different scales then , although I don't believe there are startersets in On3 or HOn3, mind you I have no experience in these scales , but a lot of the Western themed layouts seem to be in these scales, downside for you to this is I believe it involves a lot of scratchbuilding and such, crrect me if I'm wrong guys.

Greetz Jan

Reply to
Jan ( Bouli ) Van Gerwen

Yes, and as an extra added benefit the N scale trains only run half as well as the HO versions; which is wonderful if you like static displays! }:-P

And HO only run half as well as the O versions ...

Reply to
LDosser

It also tends to matter whether your scenery tends to isolate the different scenes. A train coming out of a tunnel looks a lot different than the same train stretched from one town to the neext when looked at up closee.

-- Bob May

Bob May

my original thread was not about Holiday train sets, just that cheap stuff is offered this time of year.

what I envision is an old west theme, somewhere in Arizona. the engine, coal tender and 1-2 passenger cars? (how many usually?) putzing through the desert. a small station, water tower, maybe a stagecoach waiting for the train. Indians on a bluff watching......... men digging posts for the telegraph wires, etc....... sand and cactus, that's the plan...... now to see if it can be done.

Craig

Look into On30 - O scale, narrow gauge, 30 inches between the rails. Bachman have lot of good prebuilt locos and rolling stock and prebuilt buildings are available. You do need more space, or have to settle for highly detailed smaller scenes. The detail available is much, much better than N or HO. A beginners set can be had for around $150 or so. This includes a basic oval, power pack, 2-6-0 locomotive and either three freight cars (one a caboose) or three passenger cars. ALL of the rolling stock is late 1800s.

Here's a nice place to start

. Be sure to check the links.

Reply to
LDosser

I should point out that even in O-scale a typical British steam era open wagon or van (boxcar) is about 5" long.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

True, but the number of them found in Arizona before 1900 was something less than zero...

~ Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Smashing!

Reply to
LDosser

True, but the number of them found in Arizona before 1900 was something less than zero...

~ Pete

-------------------------------------------------------------------- What about the Magma Arizona?

Reply to
LDosser

I've read a few articles on the Magma, and don't recall anything about them operating any "typical British steam era open wagon or vans".

They *did* paint their loco's smokeboxes copper instead of silver, though, and I always thought it looked interesting!

Reply to
Twibil

I've read a few articles on the Magma, and don't recall anything about them operating any "typical British steam era open wagon or vans".

They *did* paint their loco's smokeboxes copper instead of silver, though, and I always thought it looked interesting!

They did have small rolling stock, which is the point ...

Reply to
LDosser

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D= =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Well, yes, but the OP is talking about an "Old West" layout, and

*everything* back then was small, even compared to 1900-era rolling stock.
Reply to
Twibil

It certainly can be done.

My good friend and fellow NMRA BR member Cliff South has made a layout for exhibition purposes which has just this sort of detail have a look here for some examples

Mike Hughes

re: fourth photo in, labeled "The AD&D's directors car has been left on the bridge..." - is that Donald Trump's rug on the far side of the bridge?

Reply to
Steve Caple

Brilliant comment. Love it

Reply to