Not the best time to buy a beginners set?

wrote:

Yes I agree, but if you like building a large mainline with for example a Super Chief or a Broadway Limited or a coal train with 30 or more cars you need a lot of room if you want to do it in H0 scale.
Greetz Jan
Add pictures here
✖
On Dec 11, 9:21 am, "Jan \( Bouli \) Van Gerwen"

Well, yes, and how is this relevant to a discussion of Holiday train sets?
Add pictures here
✖

my original thread was not about Holiday train sets, just that cheap stuff is offered this time of year.
what I envision is an old west theme, somewhere in Arizona. the engine, coal tender and 1-2 passenger cars? (how many usually?) putzing through the desert. a small station, water tower, maybe a stagecoach waiting for the train. Indians on a bluff watching......... men digging posts for the telegraph wires, etc....... sand and cactus, that's the plan...... now to see if it can be done.
Craig
Add pictures here
✖

my original thread was not about Holiday train sets, just that cheap stuff is offered this time of year.
what I envision is an old west theme, somewhere in Arizona. the engine, coal tender and 1-2 passenger cars? (how many usually?) putzing through the desert. a small station, water tower, maybe a stagecoach waiting for the train. Indians on a bluff watching......... men digging posts for the telegraph wires, etc....... sand and cactus, that's the plan...... now to see if it can be done.
Craig
Craig you might want to look at some of the different scales then , although I don't believe there are startersets in On3 or HOn3, mind you I have no experience in these scales , but a lot of the Western themed layouts seem to be in these scales, downside for you to this is I believe it involves a lot of scratchbuilding and such, crrect me if I'm wrong guys.
Greetz Jan
Add pictures here
✖

my original thread was not about Holiday train sets, just that cheap stuff is offered this time of year.
what I envision is an old west theme, somewhere in Arizona. the engine, coal tender and 1-2 passenger cars? (how many usually?) putzing through the desert. a small station, water tower, maybe a stagecoach waiting for the train. Indians on a bluff watching......... men digging posts for the telegraph wires, etc....... sand and cactus, that's the plan...... now to see if it can be done.
Craig
Look into On30 - O scale, narrow gauge, 30 inches between the rails. Bachman have lot of good prebuilt locos and rolling stock and prebuilt buildings are available. You do need more space, or have to settle for highly detailed smaller scenes. The detail available is much, much better than N or HO. A beginners set can be had for around $150 or so. This includes a basic oval, power pack, 2-6-0 locomotive and either three freight cars (one a caboose) or three passenger cars. ALL of the rolling stock is late 1800s.
Here's a nice place to start http://homepage.mac.com/michael21/CMShome/cmshome.html . Be sure to check the links.
Add pictures here
✖
In message

It certainly can be done.
My good friend and fellow NMRA BR member Cliff South has made a layout for exhibition purposes which has just this sort of detail have a look here for some examples http://mikehughes627.fotopic.net/p58206423.html

--
Mike Hughes
✖
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:42:35 +0000, Mike Hughes wrote:

re: fourth photo in, labeled "The AD&D's directors car has been left on the bridge..." - is that Donald Trump's rug on the far side of the bridge?
--
Steve

Add pictures here
✖

Brilliant comment. Love it
--
Mike Hughes
Marketing Co-ordinator NMRA British Region

Very short trains were the rule in the Old West anyway, so long trains aren't relevant to the thread in any case.

The engine itself would have almost certainly been a small 4-4-0 "American" with a diamond stack. They were pretty much ubiquitous, although straight-stacked versions were seen in areas where there were fewer fire hazards.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/33885727@N03/4142417917/sizes/l /
The loco would have most likely burned wood instead of coal. (Until coal mines were dug out west, there was no easily-available coal to burn.)
In hilly country a small 4-4-0 might not have pulled more than two or three passenger cars, although they could at least double that on the flats.

All of those things are available in either ready-built or kit form, and Walther's is probably the best place to start your search.
http://www.walthers.com /
~ Pete
Add pictures here
✖

It was my understanding that the OP was looking for a start set to eventually form a layout, and was not yet sure of what to start with, seems to me choice i scale and why would be relevant to this.
Why so hostile?
Greetz Jan
Add pictures here
✖
It also tends to matter whether your scenery tends to isolate the different scenes. A train coming out of a tunnel looks a lot different than the same train stretched from one town to the neext when looked at up closee.
-- Bob May
✖

I'd look for one powered by a Walthers Trainline diesel. They have good power pickups (albiet a little old fashioned) and can pull just about anything you throw at it on a small layout.
Puckdropper
Add pictures here
✖
Musicman59 wrote:

HO Scale. Athearn, Atlas, and Train Line sets are all good starter sets. Chuck Kimbrough
Add pictures here
✖
Another thing is to find a good model train shop, one of those that are dedicated to rrains and have the clerk make up a set with your help. May not be quite as cheap as that TorysRUs set but you will be getting qulity and will also probably get a good lesson in modeling. One thing to note is thatt no matter what scale you get into, the trains will run better when you put them down permanently on a dedicateed platform. There are a number of bookss that will help in this regard. I'll also notee that track can be had in either sectional or long lengths for most scales and the long pieces work best on permenant layouts for obvious reasons once you see the two types in action.
-- Bob May
✖