Old Lionel ZW Problem

My Lionel ZW (post war), which I bought used about a year ago, has an
issue where the red light lights up (circuit breaker trips) without
good cause -- at least a good cause that I can find -- when I use my
2037 and 2046 engines together. It doesn't happen if just one circuit
is going, and it doesn't happen if I use one of these engines with a
newer (90s) Lionel engine that doesn't draw as much. I've gone
through a process of elimination, using different engines, different
cars, disconnecting and reconnecting the Gateman, using different
lockons etc. Seems it's simply an issue of the transformer not liking
running these older engines together.
I also notice that when I have just one set going, when I turn on the
other set the first slows down. Is this normal for a ZW?
Thanks,
Paul
Reply to
Lovguitar
: My Lionel ZW (post war), which I bought used about a year ago, has an : issue where the red light lights up (circuit breaker trips) without : good cause -- at least a good cause that I can find -- when I use my : 2037 and 2046 engines together. It doesn't happen if just one circuit : is going, and it doesn't happen if I use one of these engines with a : newer (90s) Lionel engine that doesn't draw as much. I've gone : through a process of elimination, using different engines, different : cars, disconnecting and reconnecting the Gateman, using different : lockons etc. Seems it's simply an issue of the transformer not liking : running these older engines together. : I also notice that when I have just one set going, when I turn on the : other set the first slows down. Is this normal for a ZW? : : Thanks, : : Paul
Either your circuit breaker is aging out and needs to be replaced, or one (or both) of you locos is pulling way too much current. The circuit breaker in the 250W ZQ should handle 180W @ 14A continuously.
Even together, your locos shouldn't be pulling anywhere near that much current unless there's something seriously wrong. Have you checked to see how much current each loco is pulling individually, and when run together?
If the current is in normal limits, it's time to replace the breaker. You can get a replacement from Olsen's Toy Train Parts, P/N ZW-232, $9.00 plus S&H.
Len
Reply to
Len
"Lovguitar" wrote in message:
Excluding an internal problem with the ZWs cores, I suspect either one of those older locos is drawing too much current because running both of them should have no effect on the transformers circuit breaker. Check out those locos.
Or, in the alternative, the circuit breaker may be at fault. It is part # ZW-232 and is readily available. My Lionel parts dealer sells it for $7.50.
Reply to
Whazzit

Site Timeline