OT- Question about restaurants

"Real" (or German) Lowenbrau is the nectar of the gods. I spent 3 years in Germany in the early 80's, and Germany they had store that sold nothing but beer. Seemed like every town had a brewery, so the selection was awesome.

Not available commercially, but only at the brewery, was Kloisterbrau. Brewed at a monastary near Wildflecken (sp?). Very, very good.

I may just have to go home tonight at gaze at my stein collection and have a Spatenbrau......

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Occasionally, I've thought you could use a little of both.......

8^)
Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Well, around here about half of both McDonald's and BK are either brand NEW, or recently (extensively) remodeled. One recently remodeled McD's has an ALL new interior with nice dark wood trim, pleasant lighting, a brick fireplace, some lounge seating, and other refinements. It looks more like an upscale restaurant than a McD's. Their physical plant is often actually nice. Only a couple of many here are really 'run down'.

Unfortunately, the condition of the 'physical plant' has little to do with quality of food or service. THAT varies widely from location to location. It seems to relate partly to the franchisee (some own several restaurants in the same general area), but mostly to the store manager.

Dan Mitchell ==========

Brock Bailey wrote:

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell

This reminds me of a story of Australian/American co-operation and one-upmanship. More years ago than I now care to remember, I was serving in the Australian Army in a quaint south-east Asian country. We had our own task force base at Nui Dat, but being in a transport company we often found ourselves at bases manned by our erstwhile US - and sometimes ARVN - allies.

One such trip required us to stay at the base for about 5 days (I'm sorry, I don't remember the base. Could be Bien Hoa??) and we must have been the first Aussies that the US troops there had run into. Talk about a great night! Not allowed to buy one beer all night and rocked on at the EM's club until invited back to the MP's line (no, really!!!) where we drank on. One thing you can say about Bud or Schlitz, you can dring 30 - 40 cans and not get drunk! Happy, yes, but not drunk!

Anyway, next night we decided to invite some US troops back to our lines as a sort of a thank you. Nothing fancy there, just a row of tents and Fosters, Flag Ale and XXXX (which is a Queensland beer, not a profanity!) But, we didn't quite cotton on to the fact that our beer is not limited to 2.9% alcohol pwv. It hovers around 5, sometimes 6. There were some seriously ill US grunts the next morning, apparently. :)

Two days (and one VC attack later), we were invited back by our new-found mates to the club. But there was not a beer of any description to be seen. Just bourbon. I have never - NEVER - drank bourbon since. OK guys, you win!! :-)

Steve (Wincing memories, NSW, Aust)

Reply to
Steve Magee

ROTFLMFAO!!!

-- Brian Ehni

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

I had a run-in with too many Jim Beams and Cokes once. Now I only drink my bourbon well-mixed with chicken (and grape juice, brown sugar, etc.). Some people will recognize the dish immediately as "Bourbon chicken" (New Orleans cajun food).

Jay CNS&M North Shore Line - "First and fastest"

Reply to
JCunington