Are those systems being used merely as the transmission media for
DCC-type signalling?
If so, how isthe power supplied to the decoders, which normally get powered by full-wave recitification of the DCC signal?
On 2014-01-31 9:47 AM, gareth wrote:

Yes. They merely replace the cable between the handheld controllers and the system.
EG: http://www.modelrec.com/train-controls/dcc.asp
Simplified diagrams: Signal path: Controller --> Base station --> Track --> Decoder's control chip
Power path: Base station --> Track --> Decoder's power circuit --> Motor etc.

Through the rails. The power is 60Hz (or 50Hz) AC at 16V to 20V. The DCC signal is DC pulses superimposed on this. See:
http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/ http://www.nmra.org/standards/DCC/standards_rps/S-91-2004-07.pdf
--
Wolf K.
kirkwood40.blogspot.ca

Sorry, you misunderstood me, but I misunderstood the citations previously!
I thought that the infra-red and wireless was a means to signal to the trains themselves, replacing the DCC signalling on the track, hence my question.
-----ooooo-----
The other recent case of misunderstanding was when David Cameron (Generalissimo of a 3rd World island, for the benefit of the Yanks :-) ) arranged a visit to the USA over a noisy phone line.
He ended up being received by an army undertaker, the barrack embalmer.
:-)
[31.01.2014 19:47] [gareth]:

Yo and nes... or so... In bigger tracks (from 0 upwards) you can use a wireless control to reach the locos directly. There you have enough space to encase not only the DCC decoder, but also a wireless receiver. The receiver decodes the wireless signals so that the decoder can understand them. But I never heard about sending DCC signals directly. I've seen this on model train fairs and exhibitions. This is done (at least here in Germany) with LGB locos, which often run on big layouts through their owner's garden :-)

DCC

previously!

I'm thinking I just saw what claimed to be a wireless system for HO in the Micro-Mark catalog. Digitrax I think.
On 31/01/2014 16:47, gareth wrote:

As Wolf K. already answered, the infrared/WiFi just replaces the wired connection from the throttle to the base station.
It sends only information, no traction power (a club layout may easily consume 70+ Watts for a dozen trains, some of these with lighted passenger wagons - and that is only track power, not including signaling equipment and motorized switches)
N.F.

Site Timeline