Passing Sidings, communications and Amtrak

Hi All

Sorry about the weird .subject but I didn't quite know how to put it. Anyway:

I knew that Amtrak was late and I had time to get my mocha and I noticed a West bound freight (grain train ) was waiting on the siding while I headed into town. When I got back to the West end of Libby Siding, the WB was still there and had stopped before the first road crossing ( Parmeter road ). While waiting, all of a sudden the freight turned the headlight on, then proceeded closer to my location blocking both road crossings and continueing towards me slowly ( Parmeter and whatever the next one is ). Note that this is normal operation, but here is my question:

So how did the Engineer of the freight know that it was ok to move up and block the road crossings? Amtrak was still a couple of blocks west of me and I did NOT hear a dispatcher give permission. I listen to PBX, Road# and the dispatcher channel for this area on the BearCat.

Do I get to go out and buy new/more communication stuff?

todh

Reply to
ctclibby

Where are you located? If it was on CSX or NS, they call signals out over the radio, so the freight would know Amtrak was getting close.

Reply to
me