Ping David N: (OT Guitars)

Visited the Autry Museum of Western Heritage in LA today and discovered that they're putting on a display of stuff from the classic country/Western era: clothing and what have you, plus a *spectacular* display of vintage instruments!

Just threw some pics up on Flickr for the guys on alt.guitar, and thought you might want to take a gander too.

Twibil

On 6/13/2009 11:02 PM Twibil spake thus:

Hmm; D-28 nice. (Used to have a D-18 myself.) J-200 nicer. I once worked on one of them beasts; the bridge, while acoustically useless, is a real work of art.

Too big for me, though. Actually prefer smaller guitars myself. (Why does everyone think that a big booming dreadnought is what one should have? Must be those damned bluegrassers.) I've got a lovely example myself, a Marc Silber (luthier from Berkeley, look him up) "Charlie Patton" model, a small-ish cutaway, made in Mexico (!) of "palo escrito" (i.e., some kind of rosewood-ish tropical hardwood). Great craftsmanship, rings like a bell.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

It's a volume thing. If you need to be heard over three or four other instruments you need to move around a lot of air.

As far as comfort and solo work go, my personal favorite is that '36 Dobro thats also on the photostream. It's about the size of a 00 Martin, but heavier, and is quite useful in a bar fight when used as either a shield or a blunt object.

I know of Marc and have worked on a couple of his guitars.

He does nice work.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil