Placing Adjoining Structures on Layouts

Hi all,

When I place my structures on a city street layout, I find that the window ledges of the adjoining buildings keep them from lining up and an unsightly gap is left between them. I just file the ledges off, since I could just glue on new ones out of Plastruct if need be in the future, but I'd rather not. Has anybody come up with a less drastic solution?

thanks,

Ken

Reply to
Kennynovak

Charles Kimbrough

You can leave the walls off both buildings, just use plain styrene sheet on the parts you can't see. That way you soon have enough spare walls for more structures. Else just leave an alley between them!

Make friends in the hobby. Keith Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

When I place my structures on a city street layout, I find that the window ledges of the adjoining buildings keep them from lining up and an unsightly gap is left between them. I just file the ledges off, since I could just glue on new ones out of Plastruct if need be in the future, but I'd rather not. Has anybody come up with a less drastic solution?

thanks,

Ken

-------------------------

If I know two buildings are going to be abutting when I build them, I leave the side walls off completely, and use the leftover pieces as part of my backdrop.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

Actually, Ken, there is no reason to have parapet side walls showing on adjoining shorter buildings. Very often in the real world when a shorter building is situated between two taller structures, only the front and rear wall would be evident, the side walls stopping just below roof-level. The roof structure would butt right up against the walls of the adjoining buildings with a tar/tarpaper seal extending up the walls a few inches. So...leave off and save those extra side walls in such situations and use them elsewhere on the layout.

John

Reply to
JBortle

Oh, that makes too much sense!!! Well, live and learn!

Ken

Reply to
Kennynovak