Quiet Times on RMR

Do you realize that when you combine the & IRS, it spells THEIRS? That's scary. ........F>

Reply to
Froggy

There are independent NNTP services available.

Did someone at Yahoo really expect outsourcing to produce something better looking? They must have sorted the results of the "usablility" study backwards?! UGH!!

Paul

Reply to
Paul Newhouse

My 2 cents:

The flame wars, trolls, and spam (thanks, I figured out where I'm going when I die already and I hope the worms are hungry) seem to keep ahead of my filters. I dislike having to edit my filter every day or so when someone figures out a new word to stick in the subject. So it all make r.m.r harder to use.

It does seem that almost every topic which starts out legit turns into "I'm more expert than you," or "you're stupid" argument. Wading through that to find a continuation of the on topic thread is wasteful and time and energy.

I prefer to use r.m.r rather than the web based boards because it is much faster, even with my DSL speed, and it seems the Yahoo et al groups are there mostly to harvest my email address to sell. Sigh.

I participate in another usenet news group about skiing, and it is moderated. What a pleasure: off topic stuff, flame wars, and spam don't make it through. I guess that is what makes the Apple support discussion groups work so well, too: they will just kill an account if abuse occurs, and they enforce their terms of service. And my email doesn't appear anywhere and Apple appears to honor your requests not to send advertising email.

None of those things will likely ever occur here in r.m.r, since I don't think anyone of us, myself included, are willing to spend the time to be a moderator. Oh well.

Ed

in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com, Paul Newhouse at snipped-for-privacy@pimin.rockhead.com wrote on 4/24/05 11:38 AM:

Reply to
Edward A. Oates

| > John Dalton died several years ago, the board has been on a steady downhill run. | >

| Come to think of it, I never did see a picture of those plaques we | bought for the RDC in memory of Big John. Anyone have one?

Ctucker NY

Reply to
Christian

lgb wrote: Come to think of it, I never did see a picture of those plaques we bought for the RDC in memory of Big John. Anyone have one?

--------------------------------------------------- It's hard to believe that has been nearly four years since Big John passed away.

From Peter King's website, I believe. Photos of RDC interior:

Big John Dalton Memorial Page:

History of N Scale:
Railroad Bookstore:
to 1,100 sites:

Bill

Actually, it feels unusually cool here in southern California. We had the second wettest season on record, and now we're a bit early getting into the usual May-June all-day overcast gloom. And guess what, it rained (only a little....) the past two days and early this morning.

That's okay, I've always wanted to move to the Seattle area. The weather here stays like it is, I'll stay and save some $$$!!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Yup, sure is....but I had a better lawyer then she did, so now it's all mine, not hers or, rather, theirs!!!

Reply to
Steve Hoskins

Paul,

And not forgetting Sheriff John who waged war on sock puppets,, etc., but was hounded off.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

From that webpage:

THESE PICTURES WERE TAKEN BY PETER KING AT THE DANBURY RAILWAY MUSEUM ON MAY 18TH, 2002. INTERIOR RESTORATION OF THE CAR HAS BEEN COMPLETED, BUT THE MEMORIAL PLAQUES HAVE NOT BEEN INSTALLED ON THE SEATS YET.

Nothing since then that I know of. So no plaque pictures yet. Anybody here live near the museum who could take some? It's a long way from WA :-).

Reply to
lgb

Why? There are at least two free Usenet servers I know of for text groups. news.readfreenews.net may not allow posting any more, but news.sunsite.dk does. That's where this message is coming from.

And my ISP, Intergate, has a pretty good Usenet server - I think they subcontract it to Supernews.

And there are lots of pay news servers (like Supernews) out there.

Reply to
lgb

And, even with NNTP access, few folk know about newsgroups. For instance none of my three computer-literate children do usenet at all. Thunderbird does support usenet but you have to be reasonably savvy to turn it on.

Newsgroups need new blood. Old timers on a news group have largely posted what they want to post once or twice or even more than that. Eventually the old timers run dry and need someone new to spark a new discussion.

Usenet spam was almost gone up until just a few months ago. It's still not bad compared to email spam. But you are right in that it takes real stupidity to reply to spam.

Usenet has been anti-picture since it was started. If the usenet establishment could be persuaded to lighten up on pictures it would help this news group 'cause many folk do have pix of rolling stock and layouts they would post. However I don't see that happening.

Compared to other news groups R.M.R has been remarkably free of political and religious rants. Ranting harms the news group by driving off new members. A newbie skimming thru news groups looking for one to subscribe to, will decide NOT to subscribe if the group is full of off topic rants. In Thunderbird it is pretty easy to make entire threads disappear so the rants don't really bug me. Folks using more primitive news readers may find the rants more objectionable.

R.M.R would be better for me if it had more threads on making models, buying models, modeling techniques, electronics, track work, structures, scenery, benchwork, backdrop painting, kit bashing, superdetailing, air brushing, and current projects. I also miss Big John Dalton, and Sheriff Sheridan and all the colorful posters from years past.

David Starr

Reply to
David J. Starr

Dream on.

Don

-- snipped-for-privacy@prodigy.net

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com moderator: snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com co-moderator: snipped-for-privacy@Yahoogroups.com

Trainman

It wasn't just the spam, it's the other junk, ie: the political and religious nonsense that one has to wade through. Or, IOW, the signal-to-noise ratio around here is tending more to noise than signal.

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

John is still around. He just doesn't come here too often. We're still in the same model railroad club, and he's active in the hobby (would you believe we elected him to our board of directors?). But the prime reason why he's not on the 'net like he used to be is because he got out of the IT business and went into business for himself. If you want to see what the Sheriff is doing now, click on this link to see his company:

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

Well, here in the North Midwest, between Lake Michigan and Lake Erie, we had Indian Winter. Detroit, Michigan had 4-6 inches of snow. Over here in Portage, MI we had about a half an inch.

What's all this nonsense about global warming, anyway?

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

Bush's new simplified tax form:

  1. Add all your income from wages, tips, dividends and all other sources of income on line 1.

  1. Send it in.

Reply to
Frank A. Rosenbaum

And the New Haven should have stayed independent and electrified dammit!

........F>

Reply to
Froggy

I lived in Seattle two different times, both of them between September and February. It rained every day except for two days that it snowed a little bit. People on the west side of the Cascades do not know how to drive in snow and ice any better than the people in south Florida. The only possible saving grace for Puget Sound and the Pacific Coast is that it almost never gets really cold there. Twenty seven degrees F is about as bad as it gets, and most of the winter is above freezing, but below shirtsleeve temp. It never gets warm either though. That is a minus. You will freeze to death in the water in August. If you stand still for more than ten minutes, moss will start to grow on you, and you always look like you just got out of the tub. The place is the Okeefenokee of the north. If the temperature ever got above 90 degrees F. the fog cloud would be so thick that you could not see your own nose. Overcast and gray? I have never seen the top of the space needle in person. I went up there a couple of times and thought the walls were painted light high gloss gray. Then one day I discovered I had been looking out of the windows all along. On top of all that, The current number one most dangerous volcano on the North American Continent is within sight of the "U" district; or it would be if the cloud cover ever lifted above 100 feet. Am I the only one who considers that a little scary? ........F>

Reply to
Froggy

You know, I couldn't agree with you more...I wonder why? LOL BTW, are you going to get any of the Athearn RS-3's? I can guarantee that NH will be in the first run...

Paul A. Cutler III

************* Weather Or No Go New Haven *************
Reply to
Pac Man

There will be a time when I will have FIVE teenage kids at the same time - aged 19, 17, 15 and two 13-year-old twins!

...and just to add to the mayhem -- I'll be 56 years old at that time, since I settled down relatively late in life.

Reply to
Mark Mathu