Railroad vs Railway?

You've got it! The Metropolitan was made by Austin and based on their A40 mechanicals which were remarkably reliable, other than the Lucas, Prince of Darkness components.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I still have a collection of VW Kombis =8^)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Of course.

It might well have been a Sunbeam Minx in the USa. Rootes had no pride and would pull any stunt to sell another car!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Rambler did make a car that looked somewhat like an upturned bathtub, but I thought that came from the late 1940s-or pre-tailfin era.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Yes, with so many manufacturers and so many models there had to be a few reasonably good ones. The Austin Healeys, (Sprite and 3000), Triumph 2000, Triumph TR series ... The Morris list is amazingly short; Minor, Mini perhaps, ... Jaguar MkII and E-type. (brilliant) The motorcycles were much better than average, but never had enough development funding.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No, it was built by Austin to a design brief from Nash, but designed around existing Austin mechanicals. The worst of both worlds!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

The Austin A40 mechanicals were very good and reliable, but I can't imagine them surviving a US coast to coast type of trip. Here in NZ they were one of those cars (the original A40 Devon) that you saw driving around long after other makes of similar vintage had died.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I remember ... Mind you I leaned to drive in a Series E and a Lowlite was on the dreamlist!

The next year, after merging with Austin, they replaced

I remember a randy lass with an Austin A35 including the back seat! (I'm

6'3") I can assure you there is no 6'3" dimension in the back seat of an A35.

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Seems there was a American Austin pre-war. Also the Crosley "You do not need a battleship to cross a creek" was there moto. Roger Aultman

Reply to
Roger Aultman

I never drove a Spridget*, but the 3000 was an oinker with that big hunk of tractor engine iron anchoring the front end in more ways than one.

  • but I loved the limerick:

There was a young fellow from Boston^ Who got himself a new Austin There was room for his a$$ And a gallon of gas But his ba11s hung out and he lost 'em.

^ almost neighbors with the young man from Nantucket, btw . . .

Reply to
Steve Caple

Austin Bantam made the Austin Seven under licence in the 1920s-30s. They also designed and built the original vehicle that became the Jeep.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Here's another little spelling variation that can be kicked around for a while. The colour 'grey' versus the colour 'gray'. One approach says that with the 'e' it is the English version, and with the 'a' it's North american. But another approach says that nationality has nothing to do with it, and one version refers to a colour that's a mixture of only black and white and the other has black, white and other colours. But here there seems to be disagreement as to which spelling refers to the b&w colour and which to the b.w. & another colour. p.s: in Japanese, railway is tetsudo, tetsu = iron, do = way or road, and much the same in Chinese. Regards, Bill.

Reply to
William Pearce

Radum, uranum etc. ??? I have never seen Americans miss out the " i " in these and others. Probably the first American to spell aluminium wrong was semi-literate and everyone else copied it, being too lazy to correct it. VBG Alan, in beautiful Golden Bay, Western Oz. VK6 YAB VKS 737 - W 617

Reply to
alan200