Railroad vs Railway?

You've convinced me. Let's go with sodum and cadmum. Uranum anyone?

Reply to
<wkaiser

the

(sodium,

and manifold others that

mine modeled on my model

going into it since the mine

car.

inside the event horizon of

Speaking of oddball elements, chemicals, and so forth; here in Ottawa, U.C., there's a popular conservative morning radio talk show which at one time had posted the following on it's website:

"A major research institution (MRI) has recently announced the discovery of the heaviest chemical element yet known to science. The new element has been tentatively named Governmentium. Governmentium has 1 neutron, 12 assistant neutrons, 75 deputy neutrons, and 224 assistant deputy neutrons, giving it an atomic mass of 312. These 312 particles are held together by forces called morons, which are surrounded by vast quantities of lepton-like particles called peons. Since governmentium has no electrons, it is inert. However, it can be detected as it impedes every reaction with which it comes into contact. A minute amount of governmentium causes one reaction to take over four days to complete when it would normally take less than a second. Governmentium has a normal half-life of three years; it does not decay, but instead undergoes a reorganization in which a portion of the assistant neutrons and deputy neutrons exchange places. In fact, governmentium's mass will actually increase over time, since each reorganization will cause some morons to become neutrons, forming isodopes.

"This characteristic of moron-promotion leads some scientists to speculate that governmentium is formed whenever morons reach a certain quantity in concentration. This hypothetical quantity is referred to as Critical Morass."

Garth Allen. (no, I can't take credit for it)

Reply to
allergy

Yep, those Lush Rimburgers only see _government_ bureaucracy as a problem, totally ignoring the more common and more powerfully corrosive element with almost identical structure and composition, Corporatium.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Sodom Uranus?

Reply to
Steve Caple

That's "spelt", and no, not incorrect, just affected. Like ye olde shoppe and grosse pointe.

Reply to
Steve Caple

Steve Caple spake thus:

'Zactly. For *Americans*, that is. Yes, yes, yes, we know: these are the correct spellings for the UKOGBANI, but for *Americans*, they're totally, totally, affected, precious, cutesy, fawningly Britophilic, and just plain pussy. Like all those haughty, nose-in-the-air types who infect PBS, what with all their recycled "highbrow" Brit crap.[1]

And "spelt" is a kind of bread here.

[1] Me, I'll take Benny Hill over "Are You Being Served?" any day, which is nothing but a faux-genteel T&A jokefest anyhow.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

The 'permanent' would appear to refer to 'way' rather than to the formed trackbed, which as we can all show examples of, is not neccessarily permanent. That's why it's called 'permanent way' rather than 'permanent formed roadbed'. ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Actually, 'spelled' is correct.

Reply to
Brian Smith

And where were you last year when I said almost exactly the same thing? Roger got right riled up at being called an American, even though he certainly is one.

I am happy enough with "Merkin" although that is really not a legitimate word. It is "American" pronounced with a south Texas accent. One of our dead presidents routinely pronounced it that way.

I don't think so. I think everyone in the world ~except~ the Brits and Antipodeans says 'aluminum'. So you are correct and the rest of the world is wrong? Yeah, I would expect that to be the way you all think.

There is a difference between "dumbed-down" and correct. But no matter, All Merkins know what aluminium is, so it's not a problem if you want to use affected speech. No one really cares very much. BTW, I think you were the one who broached the subject this round. Something about learning how to [mis]spell harbor with an unnecessary 'U' added to it.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

No, I only pick on Greg. I don't care what the rest of y'all do. I can read and understand what you mean perfectly well.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

You'd have to narrow the date down a little from just "last year" as I spent a total of several months an week long intervals away from home.

Roger got

Of course he is!

It also has a degree of rudeness attached to it, being as it is a pubic wig.

It is

I wonder which of the two he was actually refering to?

I'lll allow you your thoughts if you'll allow me mine ;-)

I think everyone in the world ~except~ the Brits and Antipodeans

Of course.

Of course - you don't think the US has a monopoly on arrogance, do you? ;-)

Sure, but you yanks do make a habit of chopping bits of the written word.

Aluminium uses the same ending as many other metals - ium.

Certainly I put forward that example, in response to a posting from someone else. That might make me second.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

You need _them_ to change first before you will consider doing so - can you say "yank arrogance"?

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Greg Procter spake thus:

Well, apparently we've finally met our match. (And no, not meant as in the usage with "rugby": we call them "games", thank you very much.)

Sure, just like aurum (gold), argentum (silver), ferrum (iron), lanthanum, plumbum (lead), and tantalum, right?

Only in the Brit-twit mind is there such rectilinear orthogonality as to engender "aluminium". "Pip-pip, got to get all our ducks in a row, good chap: aluminIUM it is!"

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

What you lack in quality you surely make up in quantity. :-)

Exactly - err, no.

Reply to
Greg Procter

Well, more accurately a grain; and not a bdd one, but not nearly as good as farro, or emmer wheat. Spelt is sometimes substituted for farro by less than honorable Italian merchants, much to the disgust of those in the Garfagnana who grow farro, as well as those there who make delicious savory pastries and other dishes from combinations of farro and chestnut flour:

"Italy is an interesting case as, uniquely, emmer cultivation is well established and even expanding. In the mountainous Garfagnana area of Tuscany emmer (known as farro) is grown by farmers as a IGP (Indicazione Geografica Protetta) product, with its geographic identity protected by law. Production is certified by a co-operative body, the Consorzio Produttori Farro della Garfagnana. IGP-certfied farro is widely available in health food shops across Europe, and even in some British supermarkets. The demand for Italian farro has led to competition from non-certified farro, grown in lowland areas and often consisting of a different wheat species, spelt (Triticum spelta)."

-

Steve Caple

Acceptable, but impoverished.

Reply to
Steve Caple

It's good that you have a hobby that you truly enjoy. {;^)

Reply to
Brian Smith

As usual you have it ~almost~ right, but not completely. Which, of course, you do deliberately to provoke an argument.:-)

No bites. Try a different bait.

Froggy,

Reply to
Froggy

Eh its Aluminium in almost evry other language then American, and it certainly is aluminium in the language where the word comes from. Latin

But I didn't say this to arouse anyone.

Grtz Jan

Reply to
Jan (Bouli) Van Gerwen

To some people here, 'American' is the only language!

I might have ;-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter