Railroad vs Railway

The two terms are used interchangeably nowadays. In reading some history it appears that, as a result of failures and/or bankruptcies, the name was changed from one to the other to indicate the X Railroad is now the X Railway - thus, a new business entity.
73 de KT0T Bob Schwartz Modeling Waseca, MN in the '50s
The two words are indeed synonomous with each other. One is from the English and the other is from the American lexicon.

Because it is hard to get a Taxi at 3am in Antarctica

Do you mean a Taxi or a Cab :-)
"Jan (Bouli) Van Gerwen" wrote:

A "cab" would be nice for getting out of the wind, but surely a complete vehicle would be preferable?
Greg.P.

I know a cab is the enclosed part or the front part of for example a truck, but isn't it common to say "I'll grab a cab" if you want to get a Taxi ?
Grtz Jan

yup, that's a common expression here is new yawk.
"nanner"

"Cab" is an abbreviation for " cabriolets" the replace for the previously used "Hackney Carriage" in London.
-- Cheers
Roger T.
Roger T. spake thus:

Aaah, those terms are so hackneyed!
[When I was a kid, our favorite place to eat was a place called Hackney's (in Chicagoland). Same name?]
--
To the arrogant putzes at NBC:

Do we call the country Italia? Is its capital Roma?
"Jan (Bouli) Van Gerwen" wrote:

Archaic English! Having my arm ripped of by a Mack truck holds no appeal for me!
Regards, Greg.P.