Railroad vs Railway

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com spake thus:

> > What's the difference between a "railroad" and a "railway"?

The two terms are used interchangeably nowadays. In reading some history it appears that, as a result of failures and/or bankruptcies, the name was changed from one to the other to indicate the X Railroad is now the X Railway - thus, a new business entity.

73 de KT0T Bob Schwartz Modeling Waseca, MN in the '50s
Reply to
kt0t

The two words are indeed synonomous with each other. One is from the English and the other is from the American lexicon.

Bob May

Because it is hard to get a Taxi at 3am in Antarctica

Reply to
Dori

Do you mean a Taxi or a Cab :-)

Reply to
Jan (Bouli) Van Gerwen

A "cab" would be nice for getting out of the wind, but surely a complete vehicle would be preferable?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter

I know a cab is the enclosed part or the front part of for example a truck, but isn't it common to say "I'll grab a cab" if you want to get a Taxi ?

Grtz Jan

Reply to
Jan (Bouli) Van Gerwen

yup, that's a common expression here is new yawk.

Reply to
nanner

"nanner"

"Cab" is an abbreviation for " cabriolets" the replace for the previously used "Hackney Carriage" in London.

-- Cheers

Roger T.

Home of the Great Eastern Railway

Roger T.

Roger T. spake thus:

Aaah, those terms are so hackneyed!

[When I was a kid, our favorite place to eat was a place called Hackney's (in Chicagoland). Same name?]
Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Archaic English! Having my arm ripped of by a Mack truck holds no appeal for me!

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter