Rapido Passenger Cars - Erie Lackawanna - Virus or some crap attached

I thought I'd answer the question with the address of a company that shows Erie cars as in stock, but alas, responding tries to dig around on my
computer. Intentional or not, avoid posts from the sender of that one. There have been quite a few of those around here lately, so be careful, folks. You can get a nice bundle of virus crap from seemingly innocent posts in this group these days.
Regards
On 7/31/2007 9:47 AM Rashputin spake thus:

Not sure what you're saying: did you try to email the OP? If so, how could that possibly yield a "bundle of virus crap"?
D "confused" N

1. Don't post virus warnings, they're often false. 2. Run a quality OS. 3. If you can't run a quality operating system for some reason, be sure to use a virus scanner and spyware checker regularly and find out ways you can work to acheive 2 instead.

Thanks for the wonderful advice. One can only hope that more people have problems so that they'll share your opinion, right?
have a nice day

What exactly is the problem?
I've never heard of a virus in a plain text Usenet post.
--
Bill Kaiser
snipped-for-privacy@mtholyoke.edu

That's because there ain't no such thing (unless there's some kind of binary attachment that can carry a virus, like an executable program or Word document).
I'm still trying to figure out what the O.P. is talking about here.

I do believe they were high.

Well.... doesn't that mean there is such a thing as a virus in a plain text Usenet post?
Or isn't there?
I'm still trying to figure out what you are talking about here.
On 8/4/2007 9:02 PM Mark Mathu spake thus:

I thought it was clear, but I guess not.
First of all, plain-text messages (either email [SMTP] or Usenet [NNTP]) *cannot* contain viruses or any other kind of "malware". Period.
Messages *can* carry viruses, but they must be encoded as some kind of binary attachment (like one of the two examples I gave, either an executable program or a Word document, where the virus would be in a Word macro). The plain-text message itself cannot contain a virus, but the *attachment* can.
The only other way bad stuff can happen from an email or Usenet message is if there is a link (URL) to a web site that causes bad stuff to happen when the user clicks on it.
Does this make sense now?

www.snopes.com or Snopes search http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-q=virus&sp-a 062d45-sp00000000&sp-advanced=1&sp-p=all&sp-w-control=1&sp-w=alike&sp-date-range=-1&sp-x=any&sp-c0&sp-m=1&sp-s=0

Why are most Linux operators so snobby? And if you're talking os x - HEHEHE...

They drink the Kadet Koolaid....................

It's not just Linux operators, if you're wondering why I implied that Windows is not a quality OS. Pretty much everyone, including many Windows operators, don't consider Windows a quality OS.

Whether or not it's a quality OS is a moot point and useless to dwell on given it's market share. Repeating your mantra about it's lack of quality is the same as fiddling while Rome burns, Nero, and it doesn't help the vast majority of users (here and elsewhere) or got Windows with their machine and through lack of something (skill, desire, whatever) aren't going to change. While I realize you live in your own bubble of superiority, the great unwashed masses who must deal with reality might like to know when they could have a problem and avoid it rather than follow your Guru of the Sacred OS down some other path. FWIW, I've been a BSD user since it was a baby and think Linux folks are more than a tad off plumb for wasting years of effort and opportunity (including the opportunity to put Windows on the mat) on their favorite free for all OS. That, however, isn't important to most users who are still going to be running windows, probably long after you're at the old weenies home still bitching about it.
have a nice day
PS - known spelling and grammer errors left in to give you another useless point to bitch about