Re: Anti-4x8 rant... (was Re: HO table)

Ladies and gentlemen, When I read this: "am i jealous fo those that can afford a wall-layout? you bet! " I thought it was interesting, because I actually like 4x8's. They are a nice, closed system, and you can use the loop as an infinitely long main line. Being a closed system is nice because you can finish it more easily. Unfortunately, a 4 by 8 table is a pretty big piece of furniture, and I have nowhere to put it where it would not get in the way. I didn't want to go to N scale, so the railroad had to go on a narrow shelf, along the wall, above the workbench, with a curve behind the water softener pipes, et cetera. There is no real room for turnback curves, either, which makes things interesting. The good part is, the railroad seems to go somewhere. The bad part is, it doesn't go very far (about 15 feet just yet, with nothing to do at the end o' track). There is also no room for nice towns of cardboard buildings, or big hills, or lakes. You can have some very nice scenery on a 4 by 8, so in my opinion it does have advantages. It all depends whether you have more wall or floor. Cordially yours, Gerard P.

Reply to
Gerard Pawlowski