Re: [Fwd: Long Island Railroad DD cars]

Greg Rudd wrote:

> >>Does anyone have any info as to the tendering process and introduction into >>service of these cars. And how the cars are going now and are they well >>liked by the passengers. >> >> >>-- >>Spam Bait >> >> snipped-for-privacy@aph.gov.au >> snipped-for-privacy@transport.nsw.gov.au >> snipped-for-privacy@2gb.com >> > > > >

I do not know about the tendering process, but these cars did not work out and have been retired. At least some of them are in storage on a short line railroad in Connecticut.

Michael Finfer Bridgewater, NJ

Reply to
Michael Finfer

They were introduced, late, with the EMD dual modes, which didn't work right from day one and still don't. They're such disasters that (unoficially) the LIRR is throwing in the towel on them - there's serious talk of dumping dual mode operation (and no, Union agreements are NOT the reason why)

The cars work ok, but are pathtically heavy and thus you can only have 6 per loco, and even then, they're dismally slow. They work 'well enough', but they are cramped inside, even with 2+2 seating, and have useless luggage racks. Passengers don't really like them much. Cramped, slow, and pulled by a notoriously unreliable locomotive...

Reply to
Philip Nasadowski