Re: Please Help Us! Computer and Other Items (long)

Hello, Please! You wrote on Fri, 22 Aug 2003 04:59:14 GMT:

PNM> I would very much appreciate any help, of any kind, at all. Some of PNM> us, are on to tight of a budget to purchase the items necessary to PNM> make a railroad computer controlled system, that all works.

Maybe these links will help:

computer controlled model train set)

Logic Controller)

With best regards, Sun Cheek. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@No.spam.suncheek.tk

> [...]

PNM> In the late 80s, I read a multi part story, 6 - 10 or so, issues. In PNM> Model Railroader Magazine I believe, they had a series of how to PNM> segments on a system before DCC had caught on, that might work for me. PNM> If I remember right it might be a little too complex and a little too PNM> costly for us to construct, but would be of benefit to us. PNM> Unfortunately during a move in the early 90s the mover's lost them. If PNM> anyone remembers these, please tell me if I'm right, so maybe I can PNM> purchase the appropriate issues some how.

PNM> I would like it to have many circuits for input/output, so as time PNM> goes on we can make a layout with a great deal of input/outputs. I PNM> already have some really neat ideas I'm going to have my family PNM> construct. I will try to share some of my ideas with everyone here, PNM> which will very economical but will be time consuming. I want us to PNM> perfect it, before I do share and maybe even ask here for some trouble PNM> shooting ideas.

PNM> My family is old enough, to construct most of layout with just some PNM> guidance form me, I can't do it any more because of a disability. We PNM> are going to build a permanent layout in our living room, mostly so I PNM> can watch it run its self, because I'm pretty much pretty much PNM> bedridden most of time. We want to maybe start it early this fall. PNM> There is no time rush. I really can not help much in teaching them a PNM> lot about electronic circuits because I have forgotten a lot of it. I PNM> do remember a fair amount, like following a diagram and basic bread PNM> boarding without the use a IC chips. I'm also not sure if I remember PNM> how to design a balanced circuit, like the right resistance. If any PNM> know or has a program that is easy to learn, and maybe like freeware, PNM> please let know how and where to get it. This would be a great deal PNM> of help, so we could test it 1 st, then buy the stuff. (Plus no "Tim PNM> the Handyman" Problems:) We are just now, getting ready to design it. PNM> Speaking of designing, please share any web sites that have great PNM> model railroad pictures with rocky type mountains.

Reply to
Sun Cheek
[quoting:] =>PNM> In the late 80s, I read a multi part story, 6 - 10 or so, issues. In => PNM> Model Railroader Magazine I believe, they had a series of how to => PNM> segments on a system before DCC had caught on, that might work for me. => PNM> If I remember right it might be a little too complex and a little too => PNM> costly for us to construct, but would be of benefit to us. => PNM> Unfortunately during a move in the early 90s the mover's lost them. If => PNM> anyone remembers these, please tell me if I'm right, so maybe I can => PNM> purchase the appropriate issues some how.

If you have the same thing in mind as I do, it was called the CTC-16. Search on

for issues in which it ran.

I think it would rather pricey to build - probably more than a DCC system, actually, since it uses a lot of individual parts, and integrated circuitry has come a _very_ long way since then. One consequence of that advance has been that individual parts of the type used in the CTC-16 are more expensive than they used to be - if they are still available, that is. Much of what the circuit boards of the CTC-16 did is now done by a single chip.

Anyhow, the CTC-16 was one of the many early attempts to enhance control, and some if its concepts survive, albeit in different circuitry, in DCC.

So, although you explicitly want to avoid DCC, think about what you want your control system to do:

a) control the railroad and the trains from the computer -- hardware and software already available for DCC, and evolving rapidly towards both more power and functionality, greater ease of use, and lower cost.

b) limit speed -- built into DCC -- in fact, you can't avoid setting a maximum speed for every locomotive.

c) control of accessories such as turnouts from the computer -- already available with some of the software refernced in a).

DCC starter systems cost in the neighbourhood of $200 -- a bit steep when you have a "perfectly good old computer" kicking around, but manageable with the usual sorts of self-discipline (of which I gather you have more than the average share in any case.) Most such systems permit operation of at least one non-DCC locomotive along with the DCC equipped ones, so you can start with one DCC loco and one plain DC, and add decoders and the occasional controller as your budget permits. Unless you intend to build a humungous layout, such a system has enough spare capacity that you will be able to run your layout with it in future.

So I would advise you to research DCC more thoroughly in terms of what you want to do.

Good luck!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Sounds like you're talking about the C/MRI - Dr. Bruce Chubb's universal layout interface system. You'd probably be better off buying the (more) recent book that he published on it (with updates). It's available mail order through JLC Enterprises

). Note that it's .net, not .com.

In addition to the books, they offer etched PC boards as well as the pre-programmed microcontrolelrs needed by some of the more complex cards.

I don't use the system myself, but I've visted a few clubs which do (such as the Garrett Model Railroad Club,

). They've had great success with it.

-fm Webmaster, Rails on Wheels, Washtenaw County, Michigan's HO Modular Club, at

The address in the header of this message is deliberately bogus to foil address-harvesters. See my web sites for my real address.

Reply to
Fritz Milhaupt

Please Never Mind wrote: (cut up and re-arranged). > In the late 80s, I read a multi part story, 6 - 10 or so, > issues. In Model Railroader Magazine I believe, they had > a series of how to segments on a system before DCC had > caught on, that might work for me.

I think the series you are talking about was Bruce Chubbs (CMRI). This

15 part series began in the February 1985 issue and ran through July 1986. It was later put into a book. See links below.

Unfortunately with the price of electronic parts and the cheapness of built up components it would probably be cheaper to buy one. I recently did a demo layout for someone. To save money, I did all the electronic work from scratch. When it was all said and done I only saved about $25, and spent two additional weeks, over just purchasing a cheap DCC system with computer interface.

Reply to
SleuthRaptorman

It's quite possible and practical to operate a model railway through a computer without DCC. I do it. The down side is that you have to build the electronics yourself. There may well be proprietry systems available in the US, but I'm not aware of them. Another factor is that there may well be second-hand DCC systems available in the US that would be cheaper than buying the components for an analogue comuter operated system. A DCC decoder can make a ready made computer output controller at low cost.

Software may also be a problem - I can share some of my Qbasic programming but the appearance is crude by today's "Windows" standards. (I don't care - function is the aim :-)

Regards, Greg.P.

Please Never M> For HO Scale

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Could you please send me a copy of your software. I have an old 386 that has Qbasic on it. Donald

Reply to
Donald Kinney

I seem to have lost your Email/address while deleting penis enlargement and $25 million messages. My email bounced from your above address.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter