US tank ID help please

Gents,

as you know, armour isn't really my bag. If you know your way around US armour, could you pop over to the binaries group and ID the tank in the pic titled "Help me ID this thing". I think it's either an M-46 or an M-60, but I could be wrong. (c:

Thanks

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

There are some days.....

ISP won't accept my binary post, so if you could make your way over to

,

scroll down to the mine roller equipped doohickey (just over 1/2 way down the page) and ID the lil jigger for me, it would be appreciated.

TIA

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

That's an M48, if the photo directly below it and the aerial shot are of the same tank, then it is an M48A3.

A recognition feature between an M60 and the M48 series (except M48A5) is the M48 has the 90mm gun with T-shaped muzzle brake and the periscope riser under the cuploa. There are a few other features, but these alone positively ID it. Besides, the M60 (aka "Slick 60") did not deploy to Vietnam.

The tank is an A3 versus an A2 because in the aerial and review shot, the external air cleaners are visible on the fenders.

HTHG RobG

Reply to
rgronovius

Wow. Thanks Rob! Ask and ye shall recieve... As far as I can determine, it's the same vehicle, yes. Interesting story attached to that tank (I don't know if you read it) and I think a US tank with a 'roo on it might excite some comment...

Another question, if I may. Recommended kits? And same for the mine rollers. The Academy M-60 seems to have a similar one in the box, but I'm open to suggestions. A bit of modding and scratching is acceptable, but the less I need to do, the better, or it will never get finished, just like the gazillions of others on the bench and the floor and in the cupboard...

RobG (the armour dilettante other one)

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

The kit would be the Tamiya M48A3 Patton straight out of box. Decent kit that needs some adjustment to the suspension and replacement tracks to be truly accurate:

The Academy mine roller that comes with the M60A1 is an Israeli style mine roller and not like the one in the photo:
The one in the photo looks like it was made out of tank road wheels.

Reply to
rgronovius

Again, thank-you. I went looking and found some stuff online that might be of use, including a list of M-48/M-60 kits and accessories. I guess I'd better start looking around for Tamiya's Patton then, and find more pics of the mine roller to consider building one. If it ever happens, I'll let you know.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg

No problem. Here is a good site to start your Patton info search. They may even be interested in the Aussie M48 you stumbled upon.

RobG

Reply to
rgronovius