Re: Which Paint help PLEASE

> [...]
> Browse around this site and you'll get an idea of just how deep a subject > of color systems and the history of colors can be. The site also provides > a nice cross-reference of Federal Standard (those 5-digit FS color numbers > in the instructions) to various brands of model paints. > > Another way to get information on color is simply to collect and look at > pictures of the subject he's building and paint his model like the > pictures - remember, he's building a miniature of a real-world object > (something it took my own mother years to figure out...). The internet is > a boon to us model builders in that way. One word - Google. No trips to > the library or buying of books required these days. (Though we still do > so...at least I do.) > > Hope I've been able to help, and that your son has a happy and continuing > experience building models. > > -- > - Rufus

Between Rufus and Bostjan you've already received some great advice. I'd add just this.

You can look online at any number of sites and see pictures of finished and detailled tanks for inspiration. Just keep in mind most of what you'll see are produced by professional or highly skilled modellers who have invested a substantial amount of time and money in getting those results. Don't let your son become discouraged that his results don't match theirs.

Here's a pro build of a M10 and its cousin the M36:

You know what I'm saying. Don't let him get hung up on it so that he thinks he's lacking what it takes. If he has fun and enjoys building the kit he'll hopefully want to build another and another and the rest will take care of itself. Just keep doing what you are doing by helping him where you can. Tell him he's doing a good job or encourage him to do better for those moments when even he knows better.

This is actually the binary group where model pictures are posted. The actual discussion group is rec.models.scale. My reply will be crossposted there so that others can offer advice and opinions. There's a lot more guys like Rufus and Bostjan on RMS that will be eager to help should you have further questions on this or future kits.

Hope that helps,

WmB

Reply to
WmB

[...]

Yes I understand that these are very pro builds, look really good.

one point I, should have made was that my sons M10 is the British version, Achilles, fitted with the 17lb gun.

Have made a few searches as suggested I other posts, and found that according to these the M10 Achilles should not have the ammo tubes, as we stored the shells as they were.

forgiving that of the model, was it repainted for the UK, or is it the same as the US. Reason I ask is that I can find many pics of the US version, but few specifically of the British.

Many many thanks for all the help so far.

Deb, and son

Reply to
Deb

The British version of the M10 is also known as the BR150. Try looking for both.

There is an example of a die-cast one on this page:

Rufus

Short answer - yes, they're close enough not to worry over it. Shoot the model with a can of OD or put a bottle of it to an airbrush. Leave off the white US star insignia of course. Unless he's entering an AMPS contest he should be pleased with the results.

Here's some sites of English versions.

author, Cookie Sewell, frequents rec.models.scale and might be of assistance, if he's handy.

to be a restoration missing detail items.

service, but great shots of close-up details and how they look when weathered.

WmB

WmB

Or take a look at tis page

/\rtful ])odger

Generally this is good advice. American vehicles supplied to the British army were left in the Olive Drab that they were painted in the factory. This may or may not have been overpainted with British Khaki Drab after overhaul or repair. So a situation may have arisen where both colours were seen on a vehicle at the same time. Its hard to be dogmatic about this as variation could occur within the same unit. However given the British army's fondness for "Bull" and the circumstances allowing, it's likely that if a vehicle was repainted it would have been completely painted one colour. Markings are another gray area. All American supplied British army vehicles would carry the white 5 pointed star and these were retained in British service. This was the standard Air Recognition sign for the Allied Armies. These would have, initially, been quite prominant but later as the Allies gained Air Superiority, recognition signs were known to disappear under repaints or at least be concealed by camouflage.

I hope this has been of some help but the important thing is that your son has fun building and painting his model.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Many thanks to all, most helpful ;-)

After looking at the pics offered by some of you, I see many with scale figures, our kit has none.

We took a look in our town in Ipswich UK, but only found German tank crews. Any Idea where to find British ones, or US ones if they use the same gear??

Again many thanks to all offering help, happy new year , ad the best of luck with anything you build this year.

Deb

Reply to
Deb

American tank crews gear was very different from the British equivelent, so look for British AFV crew figures. Try the link to Hannant's shown above. I'm not sure who makes a set but failing this try the newsgroup "rec.model.scale" Many modellers use the so called "aftermarket" figures and may have crew figures from kits that they might part with if asked.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Deb and son, Tamiya have a nice British tank crew set available. It's actually from their Churchill tank, but would probably do nicely for the M-10 (I'm sure the experts will correct me if I'm wrong...) Three tankies and a French farmer. Have a look here for a pic - it's of the whole shebang, but it'll give you the idea of the crew (I can't find a picture of the figure set alone anywhere! It does exist, though - I've got one in the stash).

Another good thing would be to have a look around and see if there's a modelling club somewhere in your area - there's nothing like one-on-one help to teach basic skills. Try the local hobby shop for contact details.

Don't forget that women can model as well! Get in and have a go, you may find you enjoy it. If armour doesn't appeal, there's lots of variety available.

RobG

Reply to
Rob Grinberg