Re: Source for flexible electrical wire?

Bruce.

Loy's has 30 ga. wire - 'bout as small as you go for model trains - used for wiring DCC decoders.

Go to:

Miniatronics has some small connectors:

http://207.234.141.88/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=4 HTH,

Reply to
KTØT

NWSL has the best super flexible wire available but it's expensive. 30 gauge, 29 strands, and silicone covered. Around 50 cents a foot.

Reply to
Jon Miller

Brawa of Germany do the finest one I know of - Walthers in the USa.

Electronics IC sockets - they come in a variety of sizes, mostly at

2.54mm spacing, but you can cut off the number of poles you need. Use heat shrink to insulate the wires on the terminals.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Cheap source for appropriate wire - get hold of junked inkjet printers. The ribbon cable that goes to the moving head is thin, flexible and cheap. Like nothing, zero, zilch, zip, nada.

Connecors made from DIPs/sockets - not sure of exact description, it's where the pin can plug into the back of a similar pin. Am I making sense here? They come in strips, cut off two lots of two pins and one plugs into the back of the other. Wire soldered to inside of pin for "plug", outside of pin for "socket".

Steve Newcastle Oz

Reply to
Steve Magee

Flexible wire? I search for old record players in garage sales. The tone arm wire is super flexable, can carry current well.

Price for about 20" of red and 20" of black wire is $1 - at least that's all I pay for the players. The garbage can gets the rest.

Bill

Reply to
ZBendTrack

We offer both the flexibile wire AND the connectors you require.

Your local dealer can get them from Walthers as #4242 black or #4243 red wire and any #3000 series connectors of your choice.

Enjoy!

Bruice

Reply to
Bruce Stull

Oh, yeah, I remember. To the extent that we just upgraded the hi-fi with a ProJect 6.9 turntable/Garratt Bros cartridge. Doing comparo's with CD, HDCD, DVD-Audio, SACD and black vinyl LP, it's the last that wins.

PITA to keep clean, etc, though. And the first time we played it I remembered what pops and clicks were. :-) But for pure sound quality - sorry, I can't think of a more accurate way of putting it - LP for me.

OK, enough of sound, back to trains!

Steve Newcastle NSW Oz (who also prefers steam - should that now be Ludditeville, Oz?)

Reply to
Steve Magee

IC or IDC? (insulation displcement connectors - the ribbon cable stuff)

Reply to
E Litella

A man after my own heart (I'm a vinyl collector in addition to trains. In fact I probably have more $$$ in records than I do in MR stuff!)

Don

Reply to
Trainman

Don Dellman wrote: A man after my own heart (I'm a vinyl collector in addition to trains. In fact I probably have more $$$ in records than I do in MR stuff!)

---------------------------------------------------- I sure wouldn't sell my records (or my trains).

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

DOH! I should have thought of this before!

Perhaps it stiffer than you want, but how about computer IDE cable? A 2 foot ribbon gives you 80 feet (!) of wire. Yes, you have to separate the wires yourself, but the last I saw a 2 foot (approx) went for about $2 US.

Gauge? I dunno. Tiny.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

Jay Cunington wrote: Assuming it's not back-ordered.

--------------------------------------------------- Think of all the money we modelers have saved over the years!

History of N Scale:
Links to over 600 helpful sites:

Bill

It's single strand believe it or not.

Jay CNS&M Wireheads of the world, unite!

Reply to
JCunington

We offer highly flexiible 24AWG in both red and black as part numbers 4243 and 4242. ---your dealer can get it from Walthers for much lower prices than Lionel ----

Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Stull

Thank you - you are all very generous to spend the time to respond to my question!

Reply to
Bruce Erlichman

Just pulled apart the two black wires leading to some broken headphones...a thin coated flex wire inside perfect for the need.

-- Steve Lynch

Steven Lynch