Rivet Counter

Salvé
On another thread a discussion wasongoing about the term rivet counter until
it descended into an australasian moras of insults, I am interested to know
if there is a polite expression escribing the "helpful" rivet counter as
opposed to the obnoxious individual who ruins everones joy in the hobby?
Valé
Beowulf
Reply to
Beowulf
Nahh! The obnoxious idiots who ruin our hobby can't distinguish between the two genre.
Reply to
Greg Procter
The term I am familiar with for this type of modeling is "Railroad Prototype Modeling", RPM for short. It's adherents are refered to as "Railroad Prototype Modelers" or "RPM'ers" for short. I've encountered many, if not most, knowlegeable and helpful gentlemen in their ranks.
"Paul - The CB&Q Guys" Modeling 1960's In HO.
Beowulf wrote:
elpful" rivet counter > as opposed to the obnoxious individual who ruins e= verones joy in the hobby?
Reply to
The CB&Q Guy
Peter, how do rivet counters ruin everyone's joy in the hobby?
For that matter, how could one individual, obnoxious or otherwise, have so much benign influence over so many people?
BTW, no response to my comments about Tuplin, erecting gangs, etc.?
cheers,
Mark.
Givittafloggin, NSW.
Reply to
Mark Newton
Salvé "Mark Newton" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@dodo.com.au...
I have to admit to having erred :( the author was in actual fact John C. Gibson, He apprenticed to the Midland and South Western Junction Railway ,amalgamated later into the G.W.R. in the Grouping in 1923 where he was transferred into the "A Erecting Shop" at Swindon he was ordaind into the Anglican ministry in 1935. I appologise for citing the wrong author the time taken for replying was due to reading Tulpin in order to find the reference I mentioned.... I make no appologies for what he wrote either :) I've given his quálifications what are yours? if they dont include a classical apprenticeship and City and Guilds equivalents in paperwork then your qualifications versus his are not comparable, this is not to denigrate your qualifications but his word ( as well as Tulpins) is of far more value than that of a worshop labourer (in British terms), whilst labouring is a skilled job its not the same as an erecting shop fitter/locomotive Fitter. As a reply to your question it comes when they insist on forcing their views upon everyone else or destroying another persons joy in the hobby in order to further their own sense of self importance, in other words they are selfish individuals with no social skills and obnoxious habits, and it is perfectly fitting to discuss them in this group, and to see if there is in actual fact a nicer nickname that we can use to describe those genuine experts who are admittedly armchair modellers but who enrich the hobby with their genuine research which they happily share on demand (as it were) with the rest of us.I may be bowling a yorker here but do you yourself enjoy being twitted by someone who based on your own experience doesnt know what they are waffling on about? Valé Beowulf
Reply to
Beowulf
Rivet counters need to be shut up. Fat momma's boys who ruin the hobby and cant get a woman to talk with them so they talk boxcar panels
Mark Newt>
Reply to
curtmchere
snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus [changed to bottom post]:
Um, I think you have rivet counters confused with rivet *talkers*. *They're* the ones who should shut up.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Don't forget the godbotherers and bored againsters.
Reply to
Steve Caple
Steve, the shit that "curt" has been posting - is it starting to seem familiar?
I wonder if we're not seeing a return of Jerry/Spanky, or whatever the sad wanker called himself?
Reply to
Mark Newton
Hmmmm - was he "saved" BY or FROM spanking?
Reply to
Steve Caple
Steve Caple spake thus:
Oh, *them*. I was trying to restrict the discussion to model-railroader types.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
They are sinners in need of prayer. I am praying hard for their souls to save them.
David Nebenzahl wrote: > Steve Caple spake thus: > > > > > > >>>Rivet counters need to be shut up. Fat momma's boys who ruin the hobby > >>>and cant get a woman to talk with them so they talk boxcar panels > >> > >>Um, I think you have rivet counters confused with rivet *talkers*. > >>*They're* the ones who should shut up. > > > > Don't forget the godbotherers and bored againsters. > > Oh, *them*. I was trying to restrict the discussion to model-railroader > types. > > > -- > Just as McDonald's is where you go when you're hungry but don't really > care about the quality of your food, Wikipedia is where you go when > you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge. > > - Matthew White's WikiWatch
curtmchere
snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus:
Since I now know you're not being cute or ironic, I can finally say: fuck off.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
You seem lost too I have started adding you to our prayer group to save you as well. I am sorry for your rage and lack of manners but sin does that to people. There is an answer which I am praying you will find.
David Nebenzahl wrote: > snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus: > > > They are sinners in need of prayer. I am praying hard for their souls > > to save them. > > Since I now know you're not being cute or ironic, I can finally say: > fuck off. > > > David Nebenzahl wrote: > > > >>Steve Caple spake thus: > >> > >>>> >> > >>>>>Rivet counters need to be shut up. Fat momma's boys who ruin the hobby > >>>>>and cant get a woman to talk with them so they talk boxcar panels > >>>> > >>>>Um, I think you have rivet counters confused with rivet *talkers*. > >>>>*They're* the ones who should shut up. > >>> > >>>Don't forget the godbotherers and bored againsters. > >> > >>Oh, *them*. I was trying to restrict the discussion to model-railroader > >>types. > > > -- > Just as McDonald's is where you go when you're hungry but don't really > care about the quality of your food, Wikipedia is where you go when > you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge. > > - Matthew White's WikiWatch
curtmchere
snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus:
Don't you dare!
I *forbid* you to even *think* about my "soul", or saving it, or anything of the kind. Keep your concerns to yourself.
Again, in case you missed it the first time: fuck off.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Actually it's the vesties that need to be shut up. Their pedantic whining about how it's their railroad as for an excuse for their lack of modeling skills and inability to do even the most basic research ruins the hobby.
snipped-for-privacy@aim.com wrote:
"Rivet counters need to be shut up. Fat momma's boys who ruin the hobby and cant get a woman to talk with them so they talk boxcar panels"
Reply to
newyorkcentralfan
Too late we started tonight. Are you muslim I see by your name you probably are? Don't you ask to be saved from your behavior during your daily prayers?
I will continue to pray and hope you see the light and change.
David Nebenzahl wrote: > snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus: > > > You seem lost too I have started adding you to our prayer group to save > > you as well. > > I am sorry for your rage and lack of manners but sin does that to > > people. > > There is an answer which I am praying you will find. > > Don't you dare! > > I *forbid* you to even *think* about my "soul", or saving it, or > anything of the kind. Keep your concerns to yourself. > > Again, in case you missed it the first time: fuck off. > > > > David Nebenzahl wrote: > > > >> snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus: > >> > >>>They are sinners in need of prayer. I am praying hard for their souls > >>>to save them. > >> > >>Since I now know you're not being cute or ironic, I can finally say: > >>fuck off. > >> > >>>David Nebenzahl wrote: > >>> > >>>>Steve Caple spake thus: > >>>> > >>>>>> >>>> > >>>>>>>Rivet counters need to be shut up. Fat momma's boys who ruin the hobby > >>>>>>>and cant get a woman to talk with them so they talk boxcar panels > >>>>>> > >>>>>>Um, I think you have rivet counters confused with rivet *talkers*. > >>>>>>*They're* the ones who should shut up. > >>>>> > >>>>>Don't forget the godbotherers and bored againsters. > >>>> > >>>>Oh, *them*. I was trying to restrict the discussion to model-railroader > >>>>types. > > > -- > Just as McDonald's is where you go when you're hungry but don't really > care about the quality of your food, Wikipedia is where you go when > you're curious but don't really care about the quality of your knowledge. > > - Matthew White's WikiWatch
curtmchere
Mark Newton has not qualifications to speak of other than posting on a train board. By that makes him an expert right?
Beowulf wrote:
Reply to
curtmchere
snipped-for-privacy@aim.com spake thus:
Muslim??? You're not only obnoxious, you're one *dumb* fuck.
Reply to
David Nebenzahl
Not even close; what a wrong number you are.
Reply to
Steve Caple