Roundhouse or Bachmann Spectrum?

I have a chance to get a Shay in either of these brands - I believe the Roundhouse will be around $30-40 cheaper and feel there may be good reason for this.

What do people think about the two brands?

thanks

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

I have both and the Bachmann 3-truck Shay is light years ahead of the MDC model. Extremely fine detail and running qualities. In fact I'd go so far as to suggest that anyone not bother buying the MDC model as it is so crude.

While my MDC model was one of the earliest ones in kit form, I understand the current assembled models also have had running problems. These first kits were nothing but trouble and took a lot of tweaking to be able to work in a decent manner. Mine saw limited use on my modular layour at train shows but developed a problem in its truck gears. After messing with it for a while without success, I set it aside and forgot about it, preferring the Bachmann one anyway.

They are models of two different Shays, so this might affect some modelers' choices. It will be interesting to see how Horizon Hobbies who now owns MDC will handle these models. I don't even know if they are (or were) still available as kits. Good luck!

Bob Boudreau Canada

Reply to
Railfan

Get the Bachmann unless you like fiddling with something to get it to work.

Reply to
Brian Paul Ehni

Yes, Bachman... definately

Reply to
Carter Braxton

done!

Bachmann it is! I do like fiddling - but NOT to make a new item continue to work! That's just ridiculous

Steve

thanks

Reply to
mindesign

Bought the Bachmann today - got a spectrum 3 truck Shay for $133. Seems an Ok deal compared to what's out there

Steve

Reply to
mindesign

There is really NO comparison.

The Bachmann Shay is more accurate, far better detailed, and runs a

**LOT** better! As you say, it is also a bit more expensive It's also more delicate.

The MDC Shay, however, is NOT 'junk', and a good model can be made of it, but it requires a lot of TLC and some skilled work. It's also a somewhat different Shay, especially in the 2-truck format.

Dan Mitchell ============

Reply to
Daniel A. Mitchell