Satin/semi gloss clear coat revisited

Greetings, Many readers suggested mixing dull and gloss clear coat overcoats when I was asking if anyone made a semi gloss. Since I didn't want to do that I kept looking. I thought I would let the group know I found a satin clear coat made by Model Master. Their number is 1959 and it is a semi gloss/satin lacquer overcoat. I used it on a Lionel FM shell that I custom painted in Western Maryland and the finish turned out great. I didn't want it to have that high gloss toy look and it doesn't but at the same time it looks much better than flat. S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster" "No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Reply to
SAIL LOCO

Thanks for the report. I've used flat black with, gloss coat, thinner and retarder to get a semi gloss finish on steam locomotives. The appearence is close to the finish on Bachmann Spectrum HO steam models. Do you think the Model Master satin finish over black would have a similar effect. Thanks, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce Favinger

I'm not familiar with the Spectrum models except from ads so I can't say. The shell I painted in WM is black. I painted it using Weaver Scalecoat II gloss black. I aplied decals then used the Model Master semi gloss/satin. I forgot to mention that the Model Master I bought comes in spray cans. I think the place where I bought it also carried it in jars. S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster" "No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Reply to
SAIL LOCO

Model Master is by Testor by the way. S/V Express 30 "Ringmaster" "No shirt, no skirt, full service"

Reply to
SAIL LOCO