gloss coat question/Polly S

Hello, I just tried to airbrush a coat of Polly S gloss coat onto my model, but didn't get far. I thinned the Polly S with Polly S airbrush thinner, about 50/50. The gloss coat then started to curdle in the airbrush bottle...little chuncks of white pigment-type stuff started to form, no matter how long I mixed it.

My question: I am putting this gloss coat over model master enamels, so that I can have a protective coat in order to do a thinner-based wash. Should I just scrap this Polly S stuff and use another brand??? Also, will Polly S gloss protect the paint underneath from harm from a thinner-based wash? I'm now thinking I've gone about this all wrong...Thankfully I didn't spray my actual model, just a test scrap.

TIA, Jay

Reply to
Pauli G

If you let the enamel-based color coats, set for about a week....then I do not think you will have a problem with a "thinner-based" wash, if that thinner is plain old mineral spirits. (something stronger, is another issue). So, if it were I, my choice would be to just forget the extra step of the "protective" clear coat.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

If you really want a gloss coat, I've found Future to be much better than the Polly S gloss, and it won't need to set for more than 24 hours either. Of course, I presume that the enamel is already fullly cured--I wouldn't apply anything until then.

Mark Schynert

Reply to
Mark Schynert

Keeper:

You might have hit on the problem here. Like you, I've got a lot of old paints and stuff around. I have to be careful not to mix Poly-S with Poly-Scale. This might be what he has inadvertently done. Believe it or not, there are old out of the way Hobby shops that have some very old stuff still sitting on the shelf. There is one in Hanover pennsylvania that still has a bunch of Pactra Enamel for sale (many bottles dried up solid).

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Are we talking the "dime bottles" like Testors or the "Authentic International Colors?" Nice trip down memory lane either way. I saw a current Pactra rack somewhere a few years ago; not in a hobby store. I thought RPM dispensed with duplicating the Testors line. Think I'll do a search for Pactra, I know they still make the RC paint.

Regards the Polly S; I suspected a old/new line problem. IIRC the original was a form of latex but I haven't a clue what the gloss coat was. I hope we hear back. Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

Rats, I went through Hanover once, didn't see a hobby shop but I did see the Utz Potato Chip factory.

I bought the leftovers of the Authentics from the local shop years ago. I seem to have a lot of the "Suntan", whatever that is. When I got started painting my models I found Pactra paints superior to Tetors and used them instead. There was a time when Testors was hard to find around here but I didn't care too much.

Wish I'd known that Pactra colours were going to be discontinued ahead of time. I'd have stocked up better. As it is I still have a good supply on most things but they do get used and eventually they'll run out. :(

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

Now that would be something to see.

Reply to
Eyeball2002308

Haven't been there in a while but Jack's Hobby Castle, Rocky River Road, Cleveland Ohio carried the line just a few short years ago. I think they're open on the weekends. hth

The Keeper (of too much crap!)

Reply to
Keeper

I know the colour you mean. I'll have to check and see if there's any of that in my stash. I did one Lincoln's interior in that shade and it came off quite well with the outside in Model Master Silver Blue over Silver.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller

I LOVE Jack's Hobby Castle! It's the largest number of models stuffed into the smallest store that I've ever seen! I live in Denver but my wife's from Cleveland (Euclid actually). I make it a point to visit Jack's on every visit and it gets me away from the in-laws for a couple of hours. ;^)

There was another really great place downtown a few blocks north of Tower City but it seems to have closed. :*(

Martin

Reply to
Martin

Maybe I'll get around to a picture someday.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad Modeller