Selecting the Right Turnout?

Often in MR, the layout plans call for specific switches for a given point on the layout. I imagine it's not important to have the specific brand they suggest - but why do they specify an Atlas turnout at one point, then a Roco or Walthers switch somewhere else?

Is it random, or are they considering different factors such as price, functionality, or overall design of the turnout for a specific purpose (mainline, spur, siding, etc?).

Reply to
Neb Okla

The various makers all make their turnouts with different lengths for some reason. This means that one brand may not fit in a particular place, thus the callouts for different turnouts. The angle of a turnout is pretty much set by the frog angle so that usually doesn't matter but the location of that frog from the points does change a bit. Thus, when you start packing a lot of track into a small area and you want to fit particular buildings by the tracks, somethimes a 1/4" difference in length does make a difference. Since I lay my own track, especially the turnouts, all that really doesn't matter to me as I'd just adjust the position of the turnout to match what is needed. If I needed a #5 turnout for a particular application, the only thing that I'd need to do is find the dimensions for the turnout and then build it. You guys with the plastic track have to either use the #6 or #4 turnout and adjsut to it.

-- There are more Democrats on the Calif. Special Election than Republicans! Go count if you don't believe me! Bob May

Reply to
Bob May

Are these sectional track plans? That can make specific dimensions of one brand of #6 switch (or "medium" or whatever Peco calls it, for instance) critical to making the arrangement fit properly. I see limiting oneself to sectional track as kind of like using Access versus Paradox, you lose a lot of flexibility taking the simpler pre-defined approach.

Reply to
Steve Caple

I believe Walthers has a #10 turnout that was been released earlier this year. PeteC

Reply to
PeteC

I was just looking at the October MR and they have a nice section (with pictorial spread) that shows the differences in major brands of turnouts (and other track as well).

Reply to
Neb Okla