steam switcher for B&O

I'm trying to find a decent steam locomotive model that would have acted as a switcher on the Baltimore & Ohio. Would that typically have been in the 0-6-0 configuration? I'm also having a hard time tracking down a manufacturer of such a model. I thought Bachmann made them but it does not appear on their website. Any recommendations for a smooth running model for this purpose? Thanks in advance

Reply to
javadude

What is in your budget for a steam switcher? Seems there was a brass model imported some time back from PFM, I believe it was made by United. That model was an 0-8-0. If you want to switch in really tight places go to a B&O "Docksider" 0-4-0. The Docksider has been made by several mfg. have fun

John

Reply to
John Franklin

The B&O is well represented in available (though not all in current manufacture) HO steam switchers:

0-4-0T - Class C-16, #96-99 - The famous "Dockside", made by Varney, PFM, Bowser and Rivarossi 0-4-0 - Class C-16a - Docksides # 96 and 99 had the saddle tanks removed and tenders added in 1926 - Made by Rivarossi 0-6-0 - Class D-30, #350 - 389 - USRA six wheel switchers - Made by Life Like as Proto 2000 item # 30231, a model of B&O # 386. 0-8-0 - Class L-2 - Another poster mentioned the PFM brass import of these locos. All of the B&O 0-8-0's were converted from 2-8-0's (remove the pilot truck, shorten the pilot deck, add a second backing-up sand dome the most obvious changes). PFM used many parts from their model of a class E-27ca 2-8-0 to make their L-2. The Bachman 2-8-0 has a very B&Oish appearance, and could be used in a simple kitbash to make a B&O 0-8-0. 0-10-0 - Class U - B&O had two huge 0-10-0 switchers (# 950 & 951) used in hump service. These were made from the mechanisms of two class S 2-10-2's with new boilers. This would be an interesting kitbash for an old beat up Rivarossi B&O 2-10-2. Hope this gives you some ideas. Gary Q
Reply to
Geezer

Heya Geezer how ya doin? Well the P2K 0-6-0 is as pretty and practical a steam switcher as you will find. They look great out of the box and run well.

John

Reply to
John Franklin